Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Stalingrad veteran grouping.

Article about: I managed to obtain another grouping to a soldier who fought at Stalingrad. This is a newly arrived lot from the recent Andreas Thies auction. Erich Walter was a member of Pz. Grenadier Regi

TWS
    ?

Default Stalingrad veteran grouping.

I managed to obtain another grouping to a soldier who fought at Stalingrad. This is a newly arrived lot from the recent Andreas Thies auction. Erich Walter was a member of Pz. Grenadier Regiment 79 (typo on the card in the photo), part of the 16th Panzer Division. I do not know if Walter survived Stalingrad because he was in the fragments of the division that ended up outside of the pocket or because he was wounded and evacuated out of der Kessel. Either scenario is possible because it is known that 16. Pz Division was split when the Soviet forces encircled the German 6th Army, but on the other hand Walter was the recipient of the Wound Badge in Gold and one of those wounds could have been a life saver that got him evacuated by air out of the encirclement. I intend to do some research and learn more about him. Regardless of how he escaped Stalingrad, he survived the war and lived until 1986. The grouping contains post-war stick pins that he doubtless wore to 16. PD reunions.

This grouping comes from the collection of Richard Kindel who purchased the items from Walter's son in 2011 (see card in photo). I had the honor of meeting and befriending Herr Kindel when I lived in Germany and was invited to his home to examine his collection during that time. Back then I never imagined I'd be bidding on pieces from his collection at auction many years later.

Stalingrad veteran grouping.Stalingrad veteran grouping.Stalingrad veteran grouping.Stalingrad veteran grouping.Stalingrad veteran grouping.
    Last edited by TWS; 06-08-2018 at 02:08 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad veteran grouping.
    P
    Many

An awesome group with great subject matter and provenance! Very nice!

A fantastic group made more impressive by the solid documented provenance.

This is a fantastic grouping - the story behind it reminds be of Gunter Koschorrek (Blood Red Snow) who only just escaped from the Stalingrad Kessel under difficult circumstances. Sends a chill down your spine thinking about their experiences.
    Nick

TWS
    ?

Thank-you for the appreciative comments gentlemen.

Yes, I find the battle of Stalingrad endlessly fascinating. Such that I traveled there in the winter of 2000 and spent nearly a week touring prominent locations from the battle. I have another grouping to an officer who earned the DKiG there and also escaped (wounded). Unfortunately he survived Stalingrad only to fall in battle in Poland in 1944. I think I have mentioned the grouping in passing, but haven't made a dedicated thread about him so I'll do that soon.

Unfortunately the widespread interest in Stalingrad in the collector community is appreciated by "dealers" too and now it seems every ground dug item coming out of Russia for sale is magically "from Stalingrad". I'm glad I purchased a handful of items in Stalingrad during my visit so I know they were actually found there.

Hi.
    Very nice grouping, congrats.
    Can You please make proper photos of divisions/truppen abzeichen?
    Thanks and best regards,
    Peter

What a great grouping Todd!
    Congrats!
    I just love the lapel pins, I watched one sell on WAF fairly recently but it was quite expensive for a pin.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)