Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ukrainian Paratrooper Jacket

Article about: Hello folks. Another recent purchase. This is a Soviet-produced TTsKO jacket (tritsvetnaia kamuflirovannaia odezhda, meaning three-colour camouflage) repurposed by the fledgling Ukrainian VD

Default Ukrainian Paratrooper Jacket

Hello folks.

Another recent purchase. This is a Soviet-produced TTsKO jacket (tritsvetnaia kamuflirovannaia odezhda, meaning three-colour camouflage) repurposed by the fledgling Ukrainian VDV. The lower pockets were removed, as seems to be commonplace with jackets used by the VDV, and new insignia was added. The jacket's date of production appears to be 1985, and it has clearly seen heavy field use.

I purchased this a month ago from a seller in Kharkiv, at a time when the city was still an active combat zone. That doesn't appear to have bothered the local postal services all that much. Ukrainians are made of much tougher stuff than us in the West, it seems.

Ukrainian Paratrooper Jacket Ukrainian Paratrooper Jacket Ukrainian Paratrooper Jacket Ukrainian Paratrooper Jacket Ukrainian Paratrooper Jacket

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ukrainian Paratrooper Jacket
    P
    Many

Nice one, here's a different one from the same maker. I'd be more inclined towards yours being a '95 date.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-31-2022 at 04:55 AM. Reason: added text

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Nice one, here's a different one from the same maker. I'd be more inclined towards yours being a '95 date.
    I was hung up between 85 and 95. It’s a shame the label happened to rub off in that specific place. Looks like your jacket is a slightly different camo pattern, and it still has the lower pockets!

B.B.

Just a rough stamping on yours, good acquisition considering the times !

We take the acquisition of such things for granted, but isn't it something to think that we are purchasing such items as the history still goes on? In previous conflicts items may have changed hands numerous times, from owner to liberator to family to collector and so on. This jacket comes straight from its place or origin. Definitely testament to the Ukrainian postal system and the people as a whole, but also just a little mind blowing to now be the latest custodian of it BB.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    We take the acquisition of such things for granted, but isn't it something to think that we are purchasing such items as the history still goes on? In previous conflicts items may have changed hands numerous times, from owner to liberator to family to collector and so on. This jacket comes straight from its place or origin. Definitely testament to the Ukrainian postal system and the people as a whole, but also just a little mind blowing to now be the latest custodian of it BB.
    I've been buying a lot of stuff from Ukraine recently. Not just older stuff like this, but things captured over the last few months in the current conflict. It's the best form of charity, really. I get a piece of militaria, a Ukrainian seller gets money to help support himself and his family in these terrible times, and the Russian invader the item was taken from gets nothing, which is exactly what he deserves.

We're so used to collecting things from the bloody conflicts of the past, that it can be easy to forget such things are still happening in the world today. This war has been a wake-up call for a great many people, I shouldn't wonder.

B.B.

?

While I certainly mean no disrespect here, are the close-up images shown in this thread of a deceased, camo clad Russian soldier's decomposing and rotting facial features really what this forum wants to develop a reputation for?

Seems like this sort of thing just detracts from the professionalism and expertise shown elsewhere on this same forum. Perhaps I am wasting my time here after all? I will consider that.

I also know from personal experience that people can become desensitized to certain things. Especially those among us with military and/or law enforcement experience. But for all we know, this dead trooper could be some Russian conscript (having no freedom of choice whatsoever) or poor Ukrainian soul press-ganged by the Russians into formations like the Luhansk People's Militia and subsequently killed by his own Ukrainian countrymen. If known, no such details were included. And BTW, I do not support Putin's war of aggression in Ukraine.

I'm afraid I have to agree, Rene. While Russian war crimes are well-documented and increasing in magnitude of horror by the day, their soldiers are still human beings. Ukraine understands this, treating deceased Russian soldiers with a greater level of respect than their own superiors, collecting them and identifying them in an attempt to notify their families of their fate (they apparently have over 7000 bodies stored in various places awaiting repatriation). While I feel little if any sympathy for Russian soldiers killed in action in this war, and have seen plenty of photographs just like these over the past few months, I believe that all human beings deserve respect in death.

I would perhaps suggest censoring the above photos at the minimum, showcasing the equipment of a fallen combatant whilst affording them some level of respect. Whatever he may or may not have done in life, the poor sod doesn't deserve this.

B.B.

RTH
    ?

I agree Svejk. I have been following this awful conflict rather closely, and even though I am over 1,500 miles away from it, it is very easy to become desensitised to the death and suffering. After one image of a poor decapitated soldier, the next one doesn't seem so bad and etcetera. Again, no disrespect meant to you Rene.

Regards,
    RTH

No Need to censor photos .....and I understand ones feelings towards this conflict......If this website begins censoring what has been related to militiaria history..then..Third Reich artifacts will fall under the same category and then ...History is censored.

Let the thread continue unpolitically and focusing on the artifact ...which is why we come together as a community to discuss these items and history.
    Conflicts can be heinous and awful...and all Militaria is welcome here for discussion as long it remains with respect towards others and the confines of this websites rules that it doesnt turn political.

Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast