MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Victory Bell

Article about: Hello folks. Didn't know which subforum this one belonged in, so I put it here. Another day wishing for a dedicated Home Front tab under the Western Allies section! :) This is what is known

Default Victory Bell

Hello folks.

Didn't know which subforum this one belonged in, so I put it here. Another day wishing for a dedicated Home Front tab under the Western Allies section!

This is what is known as a Victory Bell, a piece of memorabilia that is surprisingly hard to find, considering how many must have been made. On the side are profile portraits of the leaders of the 'Big Three'; Winston Churchill, Joseph Stalin and Franklin D. Roosevelt. Beneath those, circling the base, are the words: '1939-45 RAF Benevolent Fund -- Cast with metal from German aircraft shot down over Britain'.

As explained by the text, these bells were produced to bring money into the RAF Benevolent Fund. Some basic information on that here, for those curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Benevolent_Fund

They were produced from metal, presumably aluminium, recycled from German aircraft brought down over Britain throughout the course of the war. There is some doubt as to whether this is true, although I can't imagine such metal was at all hard to come by. Recycling the detritus of war was a common practice in Britain at the time, as both a way of saving money and to enhance the spirit of patriotism. Following the air raids on 10th May 1941, stonework from the bombed-out Palace of Westminster was recycled into ashtrays and bookends, with the proceeds going toward the Palace's repairs.

This bell has suffered some wear and tear. The 'V' spindle has been glued back on, having come off at some point. The clapper and chain are also missing, although from what I've read these bells did not ring very well anyway, on account of the type of metal used. They were intended more as a keepsake and a charity piece than to have any functional purpose.

A great many of these must have adorned countless mantelpieces and shelves in postwar Britain. I'm happy to finally have one, even if it is a little rough around the edges. That just adds to its charm, in my opinion. It's seventy years old. It's been there, done that, and now it sits in my cabinet for me to enjoy.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Victory Bell   Victory Bell  

Victory Bell   Victory Bell  

Victory Bell  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Victory Bell
    P
    Many

Default Victory Bell 1939-45. Cast from shot down German aircraft.

You are absolutely right in every way. I have 3 which were handed down to me after my father's passing. One has an inscription to a Warrant Officer of 1769 Squadron dated September 1945.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Victory Bell   Victory Bell  

Victory Bell  

A nice set you have there. I’ve never seen a bell with an inscription before, must be a pretty rare thing to come across.

B.B.

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay in answering. I am still trying to get to grips with the forum style.

Yes, it is very rare to get a bell with an inscription inside, particularly from a few months after the finish of WW2. You'll know that the bells were cast after the war as a charitable way to boost the
    RAF benevolent fund.

I did try to find out more about this particular bell and found out that 1769 Squadron is still about and still in Thurso. I have sent them emails but sadly they haven't replied as yet.

Best wishes, Mart