Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

NSBO Koppelschloss - the real thing?

Article about: Hello Everyone, Interested in buying this NSBO buckle its aluminum (although the roundel looks like a metal pressing judging by the colour where the paint is missing) and without makers mark

?

Default NSBO Koppelschloss - the real thing?

Hello Everyone,
    Interested in buying this NSBO buckle its aluminum (although the roundel looks like a metal pressing judging by the colour where the paint is missing) and without makers mark. There appears to be many and varied designs of this type of buckle, looked through many different militaria sites & forums without finding another with this particular design. The laurel wreath appears similar to the Luftwaffe wreath - perhaps from a firm with a Luftwaffe connection - honestly I don't know - what do members think ? genuine buckle or not. Any information appreciated.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSBO Koppelschloss - the real thing?   NSBO Koppelschloss - the real thing?  

NSBO Koppelschloss - the real thing?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSBO Koppelschloss - the real thing?
    P
    Many

Default Re: NSBO Koppelschloss - the real thing?

Alec

I think one of the delights toward collecting NSBO buckles is the sheer variety by design and construction. Having said that, you have to consider when this essentially non regulated buckle was manufactured and worn.

The one that you have shown has and in my opinion, a style of box and roundel which is much later dated than the NSBO wear period. In addition, the "balance" of the buckle is wrong and the NSBO logo is almost an insignificant after thought.

I would suggest that this is not a period item.

Regards,

David

Alec

Attached are images of an NSBO buckle and which is essentially, a neutral box (nickle silver on brass) with the organisations emblem directly attached by the two solder points. The box hopefully is a re utilised type and dating from the early Weimar period, then being converted. If not, then the buckle is a fake and to be quite honest, I have never been overly comfortable about this NSBO.

Regards,

David

?

Hi David,
    Thanks for the posts, thinking over the points you make and looking hard and long again at my buckle, the box I've shown does now seem to me, to belong with private purchase parade buckles than the plain one you show, also the NSBO roundels are usually soldered to the boxes, I can't remember another NSBO buckle being crimped together like the first one shown - can I take it NSBO buckle boxes generally don't have a mottled surface like the one I've shown and are always soldered together?. The more I look at the buckle, your point about the design "balance" gains credence i.e. the size of the laurel wreath dominates the design, out of all proportion to the NSBO logo. I think your right, its a made up piece. - a point of interest, perhaps you may know, when did these buckles first appear and when were they discontinued. Again thanks for the help.
    Best Wishes
    Alec

Hello guys,

I believe David is correct that your buckle is not a period piece. It appears to have the same overall type of construction as this post-war Feuerwehr buckle of which I have attached images. I have now seen this buckle type with a few different emblems "tacked" on to the roundel.

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSBO Koppelschloss - the real thing?   NSBO Koppelschloss - the real thing?  

Hi Alec
    your NSBO-Buckle looks like it´s made of Aluminium...!
    My opinion, this buckles are always in brass! Your buckle reminds me on the 2 piece RLB, that was my first thought!
    I think it´s a fake!
    Gruß Max

Thankyou for "squaring the circle" on this one Adam. Great images which demonstrate how this post 1945 neutral buckle is "modified and customised", whether legitimately or to deceive. Max, a pure fantasy N.S.B.O. rather than a fake.

Regards,

David

?

Thanks for the posts everyone, very informative. Adam, your picture nails this fake down - a post-war doctored up fireman's buckle. It did sell for 45 euro. I hope to go to the Militaria Fair in Reichertshofen, Bavaria in two weeks may find NSOB buckle there. Again thanks everyone for the impute.
    Best Wishes

Alec, et al,

I agree the first buckle is a fake and David the buckle you show is I believe also a fake as you state, even though the body looks good. I ahve seen this buckle before when I was collecting the TR buckles and never felt good about it nor did a number fellow collectors. I had nearly all of the NSBO variations in my collection and there are quite a few. Sorry i do not have any photos.

Bill