Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Ugly Claw NSBO buckle

Article about: New in my collection, I know SA, Stahlhelm, Red Cross, Reichsbann ugly claws buckles but this is the first NSBO buckle of this unknow maker that I have seen

Default Ugly Claw NSBO buckle

New in my collection, I know SA, Stahlhelm, Red Cross, Reichsbann ugly claws buckles but this is the first NSBO buckle of this unknow maker that I have seen

Ugly Claw NSBO buckle

Ugly Claw NSBO buckle

Ugly Claw NSBO buckle

Ugly Claw NSBO buckle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ugly Claw NSBO buckle
    P
    Many

Dear Iván,

An interesting buckle and like yourself, I have never before encountered an NSBO with the so called, "crude claws".

Do the solder spots concern you in any way?

I have had a quick look through my "crude claws" database and I have no record of solder spots in this particular form. One of the solder spots to your buckle seems to be "hanging on for grim death" and usually, this form is encountered with cannibalised buckles.

Hope that you do not mind me mentioning this, however there are also aspects of the roundel design which I am a tad uneasy about.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Dear David
    Thanks for your expert and ever accurate opinion it has great value for me

Indeed, the welding points are somewhat deeper than in other examples of this buckle, I realized before buying the it and did not give it much importance, maybe wrongly.
    I think that the box and the prongs assembly are 100% original
    About the roundel also I have some doubts, but I am not able to establish a suitable pattern in the NSBO buckles to easily detect the fake ones, that's why they worry me
    your feelings

Best regards
    Iván

Dear Iván,

Similar to yourself, I have no concerns whatsoever about the brass box to your buckle. It is instead the roundel and the method of affixing the roundel, that I found interesting.

I have never before seen this exact roundel design, as either a fake or an original. This particular roundel is within the group where the underside of the hammer head is in line with the inner twisted rope. Not above or below, however in line. I have waded through my database of NSBO roundels which fall within this group and not one is an exact match to yours. In particular and in relation to your buckle, I have never seen before the style of bow which ties together the two swags of oak leaves.

This is surely a positive albeit interesting attribute, however I hold only a token representation of NSBO roundel images for this unregulated and diverse design buckle.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Just to add gents, the area around the solder points looks IMO too new and not an item that has been around for over circa 80 years. That along with the above mentioned does leave food for thought
    Ben

Dear Iván and Ben,

As earlier mentioned, I have never before seen this exact design to a NSBO roundel. This slightly casual observation applying to both original and perhaps more importantly, fake NSBO buckles. This I think is very interesting, insofar as and on reflection, may be a "signature feature" to the so called crude claw buckles.

From memory, we know of less than 10 roundel designs to these crude claw buckles, however I think that they all have one thing in common. This being that the roundel design is unique, albeit very similar to those utilised by other concerns. For the crude claw buckles, the SA and the Stahlhelmbund roundels are good examples of this "signature feature" and to my knowledge, are to be seen nowhere else.

On reflection, I think that the NSBO buckle which started this thread is original and furthermore, extremely rare.

I cannot however explain the solder spots which are decidedly non simpatico to the crude claw buckle. Having said that, I do not think that the unconventional solder spots are anything more than simply an oddity. If the buckle shown had displayed a more traditional and well known design of roundel, then this would and in my opinion, be a quite different matter.

Again and on reflection, I think that the NSBO buckle shown by Iván is original and extremely rare.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Thanks David
    Tomorrow is my birthday, this is a very good gift

Happy Birthday Ivàn and yes, a very good present.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Very interesting and nice variant

Cool variation and Congratulations in arrears.
    Only 6 more years before retire..