Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another fighting knife

Article about: Sorry to ask again, but heres another fighting knife. Is this one the real deal? Thanks in advance.

Default Another fighting knife

Sorry to ask again, but heres another fighting knife. Is this one the real deal?
    Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another fighting knife   Another fighting knife  

Another fighting knife  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another fighting knife
    P
    Many

Some feel that RB No.s on these are questionable.
    I sort of stay away from these so, not something I have much knowledge in.
    I've not seen this style with the Waffenampt stamp yet.
    Wait for others to chime in.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Not for me

There are two questions; what is it trying to be and is it genuine? This R.B.Nr marked type with 0/0878/0018 is linked to the Anton Wingen Jr maker. We know that as some have the Anton Wingen knight logo stamped on the reverse ricasso. The code 0878 is odd as it's not usually associated with Solingen, which is usually 0561. It has been suggested 0878 was an early RB designated code later revised to 0561. ( and in fact the code is found on some gravity knives) This knife itself follows the form of the other known examples, though the cross hatching of the grip is not usual and as Ralph said the Luft WaA 5 or 6 mark not usually seen. The mark itself seems odd for a inspection mark as it doesn't appear like a usual struck mark. These knives are a rarer type and one where deviations from the usual presents greater risk, weighing that, I would pass on it. Here's a couple of images of another example to compare.

Another fighting knifeAnother fighting knife

...and grip with only two flat rivets

All the "Anton Wingen" types, (if that's the best way to categorize them) also have two flat rivets. So that feature alone doesn't really help in sorting good from bad.

Photo of the Wingen logo seen on some of these, perhaps earlier examplesAnother fighting knife

Annnnnnnnd, let's not forget the not so coveted "Hat 1942" marked variants either. RBN, Anton Wingen Types and the Hat 42 marked variants are all post-WWII productions and not genuine wartime issue. With the HAT 1942 variants they come in a variety of logos' orientation to the handle (see below images for this point). Normally, these new made reproductions receive a "weathering" treatment and sometimes, they are paired with an original scabbard to add to the subterfuge. And lastly, an accompanying story of how it recently came out of a deceased veteran's estate sale.....pffffft.

Best,

V/r Lance

Another fighting knife

Might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater Lance. I don't think you can say "hat 42 post war, therefore RBNr Anton Wingen also post war". As the OP's example has some questionable details which make it different from the other RB numbered Nahkampfmesser. There are also some with Paul Weyersberg code 0/0561/0020, though they are rare. And then there are the Luftwaffe gravity knives with the 0/0878/0018 RBNr code, are these also post war?
    So what are you basing your belief that all 0/0878/0018 marked close combat knives are post war, is it gut feeling or do you have some data to share?

Quote by MilitariaOne View Post
    Annnnnnnnd, let's not forget the not so coveted "Hat 1942" marked variants either. RBN, Anton Wingen Types and the Hat 42 marked variants are all post-WWII productions and not genuine wartime issue. With the HAT 1942 variants they come in a variety of logos' orientation to the handle (see below images for this point). Normally, these new made reproductions receive a "weathering" treatment and sometimes, they are paired with an original scabbard to add to the subterfuge. And lastly, an accompanying story of how it recently came out of a deceased veteran's estate sale.....pffffft.

Best,

V/r Lance

Another fighting knife
    I agree

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater Lance. I don't think you can say "hat 42 post war, therefore RBNr Anton Wingen also post war". As the OP's example has some questionable details which make it different from the other RB numbered Nahkampfmesser. There are also some with Paul Weyersberg code 0/0561/0020, though they are rare. And then there are the Luftwaffe gravity knives with the 0/0878/0018 RBNr code, are these also post war?
    So what are you basing your belief that all 0/0878/0018 marked close combat knives are post war, is it gut feeling or do you have some data to share?
    Greetings Anderson,

Only referring to RBN marked Luftwaffe Combat Knives, not similarly marked RBN gravity knives. Have only viewed the aforementioned marked Luftwaffe Combat Knives first, being offered for sale from Germany & Eastern Europe (e.g. Poland & Hungary), then moving into the UK/France markets, finally to the USA; all in the last decade or so. As such, I've no data, no proof, just a "gut feeling" based upon my own observations having never come across one of those variants in the prior 30 years of my militaria collecting's affliction. Obviously, me never encountering these multiple marked variants before the last decade or so, is not conclusive or absolute proof of their not being period original, yet too, that's the exact rift being exploited by these knives' secondary sellers.

If someone desires to believe any of these specific discussed marked Luftwaffe Combat Knives are legitimate/period original, it is their prerogative/right and I promise, to never get between them and one of those knives in a bidding war.

Best,

V/r Lance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast