Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Custom made pocket knife field gear

Article about: Good evening, I apologize to moderators in advance if I have the wrong section (maybe move me to the right section, please): I take this opportunity to ask what you think about this. It coul

Default Custom made pocket knife field gear

Good evening, I apologize to moderators in advance if I have the wrong section (maybe move me to the right section, please): I take this opportunity to ask what you think about this. It could be original.
    It is sold by a private collector like "CUSTOM MADE WAFFEN SS TOTENKOPF POCKET KNIFE FIELD GEAR". It may have a minimal chance of being an original custom object???

Thank you for the replies

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Custom made pocket knife field gear
    P
    Many

No worries Giuseppe ..you can leave the knife here for now.
    No telling when the scratched in lettering and skull was added ..but not an SS sanctioned knife.

Custom made?..yes it is.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    No worries Giuseppe ..you can leave the knife here for now.
    No telling when the scratched in lettering and skull was added ..but not an SS sanctioned knife.

Custom made?..yes it is.

Regards Larry

Thanks Larry for the quick response.
    So, even if it's NOT is a official SS knife, could it still be a dated object of that historical period?

The collector who sells it would seem authoritative and credible.

"Could"?

Not for me ...
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Welcome Giuseppe. If you are going to collect WSS you need to have a healthy dose of skepticism as 90% of stuff advertised is probably fake. The problem with a "custom" made object like this is it is extremely difficult to date with confidence. The lettering might have been scratched on the knife by a SS soldier during the war, but equally it might have been created by a skinhead or biker in 1973. That's the problem. My advice would first try to identify the knife maker and era, but even if the era is correct, it could still be post war modified. Items like this you want provenance, such as a family of a wartime soldier brought it back and are selling. My personal feeling would be the odds are against it being WW2 era.

MAP
    ?

Not for me either. Why a soldier would inscribe "waffen ss"? His name? yes I can see that. Also, the skull. The size is wrong. Way to small for a repurposed visor/cap skull and wrong for a Panzer collar tab skull.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Not for me either. Why a soldier would inscribe "waffen ss"? His name? yes I can see that. Also, the skull. The size is wrong. Way to small for a repurposed visor/cap skull and wrong for a Panzer collar tab skull.
    Like Anderson posted above also a skeptic, what is the reason to personalize a from the images lower quality knife and not put your name on it? Versus the very well known fact that "SS" sells - and that items like thousands of period legitimate TR era bayonets have been ruined putting fake "Waffen SS" markings on them. Best Regards, Fred

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Welcome Giuseppe. If you are going to collect WSS you need to have a healthy dose of skepticism as 90% of stuff advertised is probably fake. The problem with a "custom" made object like this is it is extremely difficult to date with confidence. The lettering might have been scratched on the knife by a SS soldier during the war, but equally it might have been created by a skinhead or biker in 1973. That's the problem. My advice would first try to identify the knife maker and era, but even if the era is correct, it could still be post war modified. Items like this you want provenance, such as a family of a wartime soldier brought it back and are selling. My personal feeling would be the odds are against it being WW2 era.

Well anderson, lots of them are easy to date sometime the year come back 2 or 3 times on 1 knife together with multiple swastikas, these have to be genuine! , LOL

Ger

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Special design for the 4. Reich...LOL

Ger

What I've always wondered about when seeing these kinds of knives is how they were decorated and what did they use to make them? Were the emblems glued, did the W-SS have wagons with them with generators for power tools, and containers of a wood finish to darken the work to make make it stand out? So many questions ................. Best Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast