Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dagger/bayonet identification wanted

Article about: Hi there, I have just been given a few items, including a couple of knives that my grandad obtained whilst serving abroad in the British miltary during the first & second world wars. So

?

Thumbs up Dagger/bayonet identification wanted

Hi there,

I have just been given a few items, including a couple of knives that my grandad obtained whilst serving abroad in the British miltary during the first & second world wars. So I wondered if any of you knowledgeable users can tell me exactly what they are, starting with this double edge one. I have found similar, but nothing exactly the same online.

Unfortunately, there is no wording on the blade which is very clean.

If any of you have any ideas, then many thanks.

Ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dagger/bayonet identification wanted  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dagger/bayonet identification wanted
    P
    Many

Please post a few photos that show the blade details.
    I believe this is a pre-war fighting knife, although I have not seen a scabbard that slim before.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

That's an interesting knife. The wide ricasso is an unusual feature, as is the scabbard, which is not one I'm familiar with. The hilt style (similar to the HJ knife) was used post WW2 and so the knife could also be made post ww2.

?

Hi Ralph & Anderson, thanks ever so much for your replies! I am a total novice at this, so had to look up what a ricasso is, for example.

I have also just looked up what the (HJ knife) is, & yes the hilt is very similar indeed!

It is a bit hard to photograph the blade in more detail with the camera that I have, & like I said previous, there is no writing/marks, so I am not sure if the following are of any use? I have also included a photo of the other items that came with this, as I am not sure if they are relevant to where obtained? I think they are a German police portepee, a Italian Black shirts knife, & Italian Black shirts strap? (I may start a thread in the relevant section, because I believe the Italian knife differs from the typical ones)

Many thanks again!

A curious piece. It could be a post WW2 assembly. The leather pommel strap and snap clasp is a type used from the mid 1930's onwards. Needs more research but my feeling is a 1950's export knife.

?

Hi Anderson, thanks again for the reply!

I have been going through numerous Google searches & websites and eventually managed to find 2 knives quite similar!

What I found on the blades of the others were the name "Lamplough cutlery Solingen", & "N56B" on the reverse. Though similar, one knife has just a blank black grip like mine, & the other has a red diamond insert, and advertised as a "youth" knife.

Here is a link to one of them. VINTAGE LAMPLOUGH SOLINGEN GERMANY DOUBLE EDGED YOUTH KNIFE, N56B. | #1872725475

As before, if either the name or numbers mean anything to you more knowledgeable users, and you have any further info, then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Ian.

With the blade grind and the slimness of the scabbard, I am leaning towards a post war letter opener.
    I have a couple of similar pieces with different handles but the same grind on the blade. They are both made in Solingen.
    This also fits in with Anderson's assessment.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by IanM View Post
    Hi Ralph & Anderson, thanks ever so much for your replies! I am a total novice at this, so had to look up what a ricasso is, for example.

I have also just looked up what the (HJ knife) is, & yes the hilt is very similar indeed!

It is a bit hard to photograph the blade in more detail with the camera that I have, & like I said previous, there is no writing/marks, so I am not sure if the following are of any use? I have also included a photo of the other items that came with this, as I am not sure if they are relevant to where obtained? I think they are a German police portepee, a Italian Black shirts knife, & Italian Black shirts strap? (I may start a thread in the relevant section, because I believe the Italian knife differs from the typical ones)

Many thanks again!

It looks like the black grip plates on the Italian MVSN dagger have been replaced
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I've come across the Lamplough brand before. I'm fairly sure it is a post WW2 brand used by one or more Solingen makers for export knives, usually hunting.