Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dagger Wood Grip Preservation

Article about: I've looked but did not see a post on the best product to use to aid in keeping wood dagger grips from drying out and cracking. I did read on the net that linseed oil can be used but with ow

Default Dagger Wood Grip Preservation

I've looked but did not see a post on the best product to use to aid in keeping wood dagger grips from drying out and cracking.

I did read on the net that linseed oil can be used but with owning a M36 chained SS dagger I am not into testing it out on the grip. I also realize gun stock oil might be ok to use but again, not doing that as it is unknown to me what the results would be years down the road.

Where I display the dagger has no A/C, and with Hawaii being humid but overly warm during the August - November months I am concerned that the grip will age quicker resulting in cracking of scaling of the wood at the cross guards.

Any suggestions as what you've used if anything at all?

Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dagger Wood Grip Preservation
    P
    Many

?

I would talk to antiques furniture dealers as they would be up against the same obstacle.

Hi Rich....best course of action without putting anything preservative or oils on wooden dagger grips and especially I would NOT do it with an SS dagger ...is to just leave it alone and not open the tang nut.

We have to remember that these grips lasted 80+ years and have not cracked.
    Yet storage conditions I do agree with that AC can suck out the moisture and humidity out of a room which will make a grip split open...I seen that happen with one of my SA daggers.

I see no issues with humidity with the grips ...as when summer comes on the east coast ..I do not run any air conditioning in that room.

I have antique furniture as most of us may or may not and have a tall Victrola from the 1920s and still works...yet the wood on the outside lost all its laquer to time...and has been kept in my grandmothers attic for decades in hot and cold temperatures...yet not one crack in it at all !!

On the dagger grips it depends upon the wood that is used or the tree that it was cut from ...may have been diseased or dry when it was cut down. There are alot of variables with wood...but I for one ..with SS dagger grips..." If it aint broke ...dont fix it "

Others will comment with their ideas and practicality and possibly you may want to use a very small portable dehumidifier on the floor at a far corner of the room...but do not run it for 24hrs...but just enough where there is no heavy density in the air.

I could never live near coastal beach areas in fear of the salt air and what it can do as well to any edged weapon collection.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry, thanks. I'd thought about loosening up the nut but I am in the same school of thought, if it is not broke don't mess with it. I'll monitor it instead. About corrosion, after having worked in corrosion control for years I use an emitter panel inside my display cabinets that's also used in gun safes and they do an excellent job at corrosion control.