Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DRGM-Marked Dagger - Export??

Article about: Good Morning, Friends... I found this dagger on offer for a great price - Seller states that it's a Pre-1945 German-Made Dagger that was produced for Export to South America...I've located 2

Default DRGM-Marked Dagger - Export??

Good Morning, Friends...
    I found this dagger - Seller states that it's a Pre-1945 German-Made Dagger that was produced for Export to South America...The Sheath appears to have been Owner-Modified for the US Type Pistol Belt...I've located 2 more online with identical Blades but differently styled Handles, yet no History or Background Story on them...-(Bottom Photo shows one of them)...
    I'd appreciate your Input...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DRGM-Marked Dagger - Export??   DRGM-Marked Dagger - Export??  

DRGM-Marked Dagger - Export??   DRGM-Marked Dagger - Export??  

Last edited by bigmacglenn; 08-18-2017 at 01:02 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DRGM-Marked Dagger - Export??
    P
    Many

Nothing that I have seen before and is a non regulation type of knife that appears to have a carving knife grip added to it.

The DRGM does date the knife pre 1945.

Im curious of the persons image within the crest who that may be..and some sharp eyes to determine what kind of blade this is or what knife it did belong to. An Oddity but interesting .

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I think we can blame "Bill Kele" for some home modifications. The wood handle grip is a likely replacement for a stag horn original (what did you do Bill, cut that off a chair?), perhaps it was damaged. The scabbard is knocked around but you can see what it was originally like in the bottom photo. This style blade latter appears with the short "Carbine" dress KS98 bayonets.

Quote: Im curious of the persons image within the crest who that may be..and some sharp eyes to determine what kind of blade this is or what knife it did belong to. An Oddity but interesting.

Good call Larry I'm not certain who the lady is but this may help identify her easier? Best regards. Good luck Glenn. Nice pick up.

Brian

Have a look on Wittmann's site, he has a couple of Hunting knives very similar, eg F.W.Backhaus example, also with the Carbine blade, and stag horn grip.
    Can't help on the portrait on ricasso, not like any brand I've seen. Could it represent someone in the German aristocracy, they were closely associated with hunting? Just a guess.

Good eyes and research Anderson..I saw that stag grip example on Tom Wittmanns site ( seen below )

Take notice to the blade and ricasso itself which is an exact duplicate ( Minus the DRGM stamping )

DRGM-Marked Dagger - Export?? DRGM-Marked Dagger - Export??

The image of the woman remains a mystery and could be aristocracy or even the wife of the original carrier. No one knows.

More comments and opinions welcome.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I'm thinking Argentinian. German made for Argentine market, just a hunch. The woman is similar to the Argentine symbol for Independence, as appeared on some coinage. But I could be way out in left field.

The DRGM appears to have been done the same time as the Bill Kele script?

Did a little research, there are images on web of similar knives with same woman's head mark and DRGM stamp. significantly I saw one made with a different blade in the Argentinian Gaucho style. Haven't been able to identify maker, though the DRGM stamp confirms it's German (other knives pictured had exactly same stamp). So I think it's an export product for Argentina market, slightly modified from the German hunting model to suit the target market.

My Thanks & Appreciation for the Help!!
    I liked it enough to go ahead and buy it, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast