Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Edged Weapon Disassembly.....Research or Sacrilege

Article about: For quite a few decades up until recently..the question arises..how do we know if its real or not? Some say a good hard study of comparable examples...that should teach us not to take down a

Default Edged Weapon Disassembly.....Research or Sacrilege

For quite a few decades up until recently..the question arises..how do we know if its real or not? Some say a good hard study of comparable examples...that should teach us not to take down a dagger...( Sacrilege ) and others for research reasons wanting to know if internal markings could help Identify a makers parts source and bringing closer the makers identity. ( Research )
    When is it not necessary to cross the line...is it with common daggers or rare daggers..............When is it absolutely necessary to cross the line??? Maybe for reasons that the dagger may be High dollar..or is that sacrilege?

Where do we draw the line?......What daggers do we draw the line with?.........is it discrimination of one dagger to be acceptable to be taken down..but not another? Why?

What daggers do you think should or should not be taken down....or do we keep guessing everything is ok...and try not to doubt the authenticity when some part arises never seen before.

Do we guess our way through the doctors office and avoid surgery......is it necessary?

Is it in the name of research...or self satisfaction. What are your thoughts?...........Research or Sacrilege?.. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Edged Weapon Disassembly.....Research or Sacrilege
    P
    Many

In my opinion, it is entirely unnecessary to start taking apart and breaking things to figure out if X grip was made in Y. Its potentially destroying something that truly cannot be replaced. On the other hand, if the item has already been majorly altered since its manufacture outside of an "historical" period, go right ahead.

Hi Larry

If I may participate in your fine thread here. The historian in me says don't touch it! All of my collectables has been dusted with a brush and that's as far as I care to go, I would not even clean anything. I do oil my weapons, firearms, so they function as intended. At the same time, I couldn't risk $20K on a fake dagger (or other item) and would take it apart to prove authenticity. Only to prove authenticity and not any other curiosity. I guess aliens would be safe with me, I wouldn't chop 'em up.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

If a person can't tell what belongs or what doesn't belong there, with all of the fine reference materials both printed and online that are out there today for this very purpose, then perhaps they need to find a new hobby.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I believe that the every day collector does not need to take their daggers apart. Now, if an experienced individual, with the right tools and experience for the job, takes the dagger apart for research purpose I see nothing wrong with that. I personally find it a little crazy how people lose their minds over a dagger being taken apart. I understand the reasoning and normally agree, but if someone knows what they're doing and are doing it for the benefit of the hobby then why not?

William

For the most part I would agree but pictures and computer screens cannot show what's on the tang of a sword or dagger. I would reserve the dismantling of something as the last resort, if necessary. For my money, seeing that I have to work for it, I'd take it apart. Taking apart is different than breaking apart. It's how we fix cars, it's how surgeons fix human hearts, and they function just fine afterwards. Again, if all the proof-in-the-pudding was on that tang, I would prefer to carefully take apart and reassemble. If authenticity can be proven differently, then by all means don't touch it. I just cannot see the harm in that.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

"I believe that the every day collector does not need to take their daggers apart. Now, if an experienced individual, with the right tools and experience for the job, takes the dagger apart for research purpose I see nothing wrong with that."

Exactly, Doug! If an experienced individual with the right tools and experience, as you say, inspects a rare dagger, they will be able to re-assemble it with no trace of it ever having been examined internally. Unfortunately, it's the Inexperienced individuals that do the damage! And that damage is usually permanent!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Its sort of the same thing with the "restorations" people do, if professionally done they can add to the piece, but more often than so ruins it. Dont mean to stray from the thread, just making an analogy.

Anyway, if beneficial information comes from the disassembly of the piece and the integrity of the dagger is maintained it would almost be a crime NOT to take it apart, IMHO.

Great thought, Doug!

Couldn't agree more, let the pros handle the dismantling.

Mark

I would never have disassembled the two SA daggers I owned
    back in the 70's - I know that they were spot-on originals
    ( though they're long gone ! ) but I believe each
    of the ones I now have were taken apart at one
    time or another.

Lol - I 'm sure I've recently seen fake Waffenamt marked
    'take-down' wrenches for SA and SS daggers.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast