Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Edged Weapon Poll

Article about: So what gets your juices flowing most when looking at a dress dagger, sword, knife or bayonet? I know now after 30 years what I like but I wanted to throw this out to the veteran collectors

?

Default Edged Dress Collecting Poll

So what gets your juices flowing most when looking at a dress dagger, sword, knife or bayonet? I know now after 30 years what I like but I wanted to throw this out to the veteran collectors out there and also to some of the new bright collectors who have joined our great forum.

Relic? Found in ground with rust and bits of history missing? A fallen solider's buried booty?
    Salty? Been there and untouched or uncleaned...Vet bring back and kept in a foot locker?
    Minty? Blade, Fittings and Components like it came off the production line?
    Patina? Of Course...Like Butter on Toast? Gotta have it!
    Full Glory? It has it all...Portepee, Hangers, Scabbard, Minty everything? Full Glory is great but also costly and requires years of patience to acquire and much saving, bartering and being selective in the buying process.
    Rare Beast? Are you after rarity despite Condition? If ultra rare does condition even matter to you?
    Maker Crazed? Is there a maker you love and desire their edged weapons over others?
    Year of manufacturing? Does it matter early or late? If so why?
    Value of a REAL story? What value if from a family member or if real providence is known? We know the slippery slope that manufactured stories can bring to the hobby but we also know the excitement when real historical providence is realized with an edged weapon.

So to my friends and collecting family your opinions will be nuggets of wisdom to many. We can all gain a better understanding on the art of collecting these pieces. Are you open to sharing your knowledge? I for one respect you greatly and would read each and every reply if you take the time.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Edged Weapon Poll
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I just like looking at them without the dress....

Sorry......couldn't help it...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I collect mainly allied combat knives. So for me it's the rarity and the story behind
    them or the particular group associated with them. For instance, I have several
    British command daggers and similar blades. The one that would get me going
    would be the Case V42. Styled after the Command dagger but produced in MUCH
    smaller quantities.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 07-22-2015 at 04:11 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Great questions Kirk...out of all of them..there is one that strikes me the most..and its the " Vet Bring back kept in a foot locker " To me this is where time stood still and the artifact lay undisturbed and entombed. An artifact of this nature is the closest memory to history..being there yesterday all these past 80 yrs.
    No other than the Vet has touched these things..which i find great excitement knowing that it is totally unmessed with and remained as is since 1945. After that...i begin the research of when and where..who produced it..and the total history..it represented.

Condition excites me also which tells me what kind of person who owned it taking great care and respect..for which it stood for in Honor. I call it Dagger Hygiene. I like an artifact that shows ownership with light usage. This tells more of a story IMO than a full minty unissued piece.

In this particular period in History..the early struggle to power shows itself in the early craftmanship. Much heart and soul went into these items in the early years.

Lastly my Pet hate is when idiot enterprisers attempt or willfully deface history ..by adding to what was never meant to be. Alterations of a wide scope to make a few extra dollars..over a lie. We see this with fake etchings..logos reformed fittings..or mixed fittings.
    Frankenstein stories of Grandeur : Creating a story out of nothing or an unseen item..and giving it a high price tag calling it ultra rare. ( Example: ) - The Black gripped Luftwaffe funeral dagger. No such thing ever existed..and all because the white plastic coating chipped of the black celluloid grip. Hitler Youth Honor knife / bayonet.
    Also never seen before Frankensteined parted prototypes.

Great Thread Kirk..as these are my likes and dislikes and what I expect in collecting. Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I just like looking at them without the dress....

Sorry......couldn't help it...
    Yes...Figured you had a thing for looking under cross guards Michael!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Yes...Figured you had a thing for looking under cross guards Michael!
    LoL

But on serious note...I'm in agreement with our esteemed Mr Larry. So instead a long and winded way of saying the same thing, just read his and picture me writing it.

I love my untouched NSKK Kober...cared for my original owner, black as night motto, great blade...but 70 years of nicotine patina making the fitting look almost gold in color.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    LoL

But on serious note...I'm in agreement with our esteemed Mr Larry. So instead a long and winded way of saying the same thing, just read his and picture me writing it.

I love my untouched NSKK Kober...cared for my original owner, black as night motto, great blade...but 70 years of nicotine patina making the fitting look almost gold in color.
    Sexier than a woman in a dress is the patina on dagger components...Well...Close! Cheers!

For someone like me, who loves dress bayonets, I would say maker crazed as I want to have one from every maker especially while they are still relatively inexpensive.

?

My choice would be the Been There Done That look. I like to hold my swords,bayonets and daggers and listen to the story they have to tell. Of Course the Factory fresh, right off the show room floor with all the accessories would be a great option that anybody would want to own but those are few and far between and are in the serious collectors possessions or will cost you that arm and leg to add to your collection.

Great Poll my Brother!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Kind of a widespread question but I'll venture giving it a shot! When I was at the height of collecting, what I wanted Ideally(edged weapon-wise!) was a 90% Mint dagger-one that was actually Carried for a short while,not enough to abuse or wear on it but enough to show it was Issued. Rarity would have been right up there at the top of the hill also. Back then, daggers were all over and fairly Cheap. I recall once a pair of nice shiny Model 33 SS with vertical hangers being offered to me for $40 and I did Not purchase them. SA's? No one even looked at them-they were Everywhere. I think every GI in existence must have brought one home. The same for Heer's. But a Rare piece like, say, a leather sheathed Damascus? Ohhh yeah. That would make me sit up and take notice. And the era made?....well, we usually just figured the Earlier, the Better it would be made. Not always true, of course, but that was the theory,anyway! As far as Makers....I think Eickhorn was about 90% of the time the one that you would see, but who the maker was generally didn't really matter all That heavily. We never delved that much into the minute varieties of which maker made the most or the least etc. Accoutrements like Hangers, portapees, etc were also a Must. It was like buying a big old gold pocket watch with Out a matching gold Chain.

Stories? Well, sure...if it once belonged to a Name who was Known, certainly. But for the most part, none of us really listened alot to the provenance past the "I picked this one off a dead SS Officer that I shot out of the turret of a Panzer tank North of St Nazaire!" story line. Whether it was true or not, most people didn't worry about, as these were coming from the actual Vets who brought them home, so unless the guy was claiming it came from Hitler's closet shelf, we paid small attention. It was neat to know a genuine history behind where any certain piece was found or came from, but in the end, the piece itself was the true core of the find.
    I know this, though....Times sure have Changed!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast