Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hewer dagger authentic?

Article about: Came across this dagger on an auction house site. Just wanted to see what people thing before I do any kind of bidding. Many thanks in advance

Default Hewer dagger authentic?

Came across this dagger on an auction house site. Just wanted to see what people thing before I do any kind of bidding. Many thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hewer dagger authentic?   Hewer dagger authentic?  

Hewer dagger authentic?   Hewer dagger authentic?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hewer dagger authentic?
    P
    Many

It's in pretty rough shape,, I wouldn't bid too high.. There are better examples out there..

For the amount of projected money that you could potentially invest in this piece, I would save a few more dollars and go for one in much better condition..

Others will chime in, but I would pass on this one..

Quality over quantity.. Just my thoughts if I'm going spend some money on something like this, you always have to think of the future when it comes time to potentially selling this item later on,, will you lose money?? Just a thought....

Best regards,

Smitty

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    It's in pretty rough shape,, I wouldn't bid too high.. There are better examples out there..

For the amount of projected money that you could potentially invest in this piece, I would save a few more dollars and go for one in much better condition..

Others will chime in, but I would pass on this one..

Quality over quantity.. Just my thoughts if I'm going spend some money on something like this, you always have to think of the future when it comes time to potentially selling this item later on,, will you lose money?? Just a thought....

Best regards,

Smitty
    I'm with Rakkasan187 on this one, although it would be nice to have one on hand, I think you should wait and invest in specimen that is in better overall condition, they are not scarce and can be found for a reasonable price, also, bidding has the added premiums and what not, jut my opinion, G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

What’s the best place to find quality items. Also aside from not being in the best condition does it look to be authentic?

?

Sherm - It looks authentic ... but "rode hard!" .... I'd probably be willing to pay 50 to 75 USD for it and make it a "clean up" project in my lab.

The best place to find quality items? - the more reputable dealers (I am sure you can do a search on them here) but you pay a premium price. I personally don't see too many "fake" RAD Hewers, but I do see them repaired and/or repainted (scabbards).
    The preferred best place (IMHO) for you to find quality items is a militaria show in your state or region. You can always take pictures of a dagger at a show and quickly post here, and ask for a rapid response. As Gwar stated, auctions aren't necessarily ideal because you pay a premium (often 20%), and then shipping, and then if you get the item and find it's bad - you will have issues. At least with the reputable sellers (dealers or collectors), there is usually a return period. Cheers - Dan

?

As stated by zook, find a reputable dealer, ask before buying here first, if need be, but also, there are a few entities that are faking these, and they are getting better each day, but still discernable if you study a bit, you will find these on Gun Broker of all places and a few other sites. G

?

Funny thing is all of you say find a reputable dealer for your best stuff.....
    Well gents, my best pieces in all of these years of hunting almost NEVER came from a dealer source LOL
    And that brings up another question.... when do we talk about reputable? it still count knowledge is king and pays off in the end.
    As many of these so called reputable dealers sell consigment stuff, and no sell is no commision, and that makes it very trickly, as they do have to make a living
    Good thing about shitty stuff buying at reputable dealers is the fact that they accept a return

Ger
    BTW you can tell if this scabbard is an original Eickhorn one, they have the non alligned second pearl on the right
    Hewer dagger authentic?

?

Gerrit -
    THANK YOU for posting that RAD picture! ... I didn't know about the Eickhorn pearl alignment ! - (and I breath easy because mine has it ...lol).

I want to CLARIFY my "personal" point on dealers - I find there are two very well known dagger dealer "shops" that I personally find reputable because the proprietor knows his stuff AND in my experience is extremely honest if there are issues ... and in one case, actually works with me on prices. However, I only place TWO dealers in that category ... (and TW isn't one of them . The 2 dealers I liaison with have some very nice items - but as stated, it is their business to make a living and we pay for that cost of doing business (lol), so I do more window shopping than anything.

My coolest stuff has actually come from "ebay" (accidental posts and I reach out to the seller before they get booted for selling "contraband"), my best HJ knife from Gunbroker and my best SA/SS daggers have come from local antique shows or private collectors that are selling off and getting out of hobby. I get great satisfaction out of doing my own research, discovering something at a yard sale or show, and posting it here and finding out I caught a "cool fish!" ... it is much more satisfying than buying straight up from a dealer (and I agree - they make mistakes too, or rest on their laurels too much with regards to fakes).

R/ Dan

?

Quote by zook View Post
    Gerrit -
    THANK YOU for posting that RAD picture! ... I didn't know about the Eickhorn pearl alignment ! - (and I breath easy because mine has it ...lol).

I want to CLARIFY my "personal" point on dealers - I find there are two very well known dagger dealer "shops" that I personally find reputable because the proprietor knows his stuff AND in my experience is extremely honest if there are issues ... and in one case, actually works with me on prices. However, I only place TWO dealers in that category ... (and TW isn't one of them . The 2 dealers I liaison with have some very nice items - but as stated, it is their business to make a living and we pay for that cost of doing business (lol), so I do more window shopping than anything.

My coolest stuff has actually come from "ebay" (accidental posts and I reach out to the seller before they get booted for selling "contraband"), my best HJ knife from Gunbroker and my best SA/SS daggers have come from local antique shows or private collectors that are selling off and getting out of hobby. I get great satisfaction out of doing my own research, discovering something at a yard sale or show, and posting it here and finding out I caught a "cool fish!" ... it is much more satisfying than buying straight up from a dealer (and I agree - they make mistakes too, or rest on their laurels too much with regards to fakes).

R/ Dan
    It does happen, sometimes it pays to study, I too have had a few good finds on Ebay, I picked up an original Gorget for $238 just as the ad was getting the boot.. G

I really appreciate all the information I have gotten about this. I was wondering how would you go about restoring a hewer like this without damaging it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast