Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

I found a 1960s magazine -Dagger feature

Article about: The article was penned by Jim Atwood. Check out the prices!

?

Default I found a 1960s magazine -Dagger feature

The article was penned by Jim Atwood.
    Check out the prices!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I found a 1960s magazine -Dagger feature
    P
    Many

Interesting find that gives another window into Atwood's activities in the 1960's. It would be interesting to inflation adjust the listed values to 2023 dollars. By 1967 Atwood had imported to the US from Solingen a huge quantity of dagger parts and was assembling daggers at his property. He was dealing in both the authentic and parts daggers, not to mention his refurbished Spanish and Norwegian helmets.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Interesting find that gives another window into Atwood's activities in the 1960's. It would be interesting to inflation adjust the listed values to 2023 dollars. By 1967 Atwood had imported to the US from Solingen a huge quantity of dagger parts and was assembling daggers at his property. He was dealing in both the authentic and parts daggers, not to mention his refurbished Spanish and Norwegian helmets.
    Ok, so by inflation alone that nice looking HJ dagger should only be costing around $73 today. Lol.

The magazine is collectable due to the early history of Third Reich daggers coming into the market place....worse yet Jim Attwood who has poisoned many collections with his reassembly business.
    To this day there are many daggers in collections that may be Attwood assembled.

The problem doesnt stop with Attwood ...currently its a huge market for even the small entrepreneur taking parts and assembling ..vetting them through forums such as these. Although Atwood is gone ...the problem still exists.

A Must read is a recent publication by Kenneth Alford on the Life of Jim Atwood can be found on Amazon . Moderator Anderson just scratched the surface on what this late 20th century gangster has done to this hobby.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Maybe I should have said the infamous Jim Atwood...I hear these stories about him from the veteran collectors. What a nightmare. I concur about your comment about current fakers and frauds. I've come to regard Facebook group sellers as sort of a "Wild West" environment, with few controls and fewer scruples. I've also come to the conclusion that the majority of auction houses are dumping grounds for fakes and parts daggers, where photos used are careful not to show too much of the item, and auction houses absolve themselves from all culpability in their disclaimer verbiage. I don't look at any of these areas for purchasing daggers. Only reputable dealers and shows where I can actually hold the item get my money.

?

Funny that the last picture shows the mini DJS dagger.
    Like the one i posted with its 60s marking.

Ger

A good point Ger. What we can notice with Atwood's marketing is he knowingly sold authentic TR issued daggers along side post war made and assembled parts daggers and thereby muddied the waters for collectors at the time, who relied on information provided by dealers like Atwood. I'm sure he would have known the miniatures were still being made in the 1960's as he had visited the Solingen factories.