MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Imperial German bayo to identify

Article about: Hello gents, I have some nice Mauser bayo with Imperial German logos e.t.c but so far I didn´t found in any catalogues and internet sites what is the name/index of this bayo? Quite sure that

?

Default Imperial German bayo to identify

Hello gents,

I have some nice Mauser bayo with Imperial German logos e.t.c but so far I didn´t found in any catalogues and internet sites what is the name/index of this bayo?

Quite sure that professional help via this forum will follow quickly

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German bayo to identify
    P
    Many

Default Re: Imperial German bayo to identify

hi there,

It looks like a Czech v2 bayo.
    But the inscriptions doesn't add up. I will add a link to look at.

cheers,

Bayonets

?

Quote by klokhoane View Post
    hi there,

It looks like a Czech v2 bayo.
    But the inscriptions doesn't add up. I will add a link to look at.

cheers,

Bayonets
    It may look but in this case, I belive, the later Czech well-known bayo is looking like this earlier Imperial German

Pls notice the German Kaiser monogramm on the back of blade - I mean this bayo was produced before the end of 1WW

Finally - I have enough those czechs in my collection

mm... you're right..
    I will look further...

cheers,

Bruno,
    IMO it looks like a wartime variation of a model 71/84, it sports a blade used on a model 1871 Mauser rifle, probably issued for use on the Gew 88 rifles, used by Landwehr/Landsturm units. i believe there were approx 38 types of bayonet used by the German Imperial army during WW1.

?

Thanks a lot, oradour,

that was my guess as well - this should be some kind of re-issued bayo, one from many used by German Imperial army - as you told.

Just to be mentioned - it has a really massive, heavy-weight blade of impressively good quality

I have seen a lot of those post-1WW czech / persian / belgium / some other bayos that are very similar to this one. But there are also differences like this example is more heavy, blade is a little bit longer and of better quality... So I guess several post-1WW bayos in Central Europe countries are developed (or copied) from this unknown German one - because all of them are done later than 1WW

?

Sorry, but I think it's something else because:
    1) The blade doesn't come near one of an S71 or AS71/84...
    2) It looks more like ans S14, but those don't have a barrel ring...
    3) The stamps on the blade indeed say it's Prussian, made in 1917 but under the W17 is that little crown with something under the crown (can't read that). Normally this should be a small stamp "RC" which means that the bayonet has been repaired. In this case it's something else beneith the little crown, but I don't know what that means ...
    4) The scabbard doesn't look German because there are no acceptance stamps and has the wrong shape...
    5) The "376" stamp isn't German and is not on a place where the Germans stamped their hilts...
    6) There are no acceptance stamps on the hilt...
    7) There is no acceptance stamp on the releise button...
    8) The frog stud looks more like a WW2 German S84/98 model...

Looking at al these points, it looks like a post 1918 Czech bayonet, but with an altered blade of a 1917 German bayonet...
    I don't know if that makes any sence to you but I can't explain it otherwise at this moment... Please correct me if I'm wrong because i'm not completely sure of this conclusion, but it seems reasonable, don't you think?

Adler 1

?

Thanks, Adler - good points for sure.

I forget to mention before that this bayo was procured in Afghanistan... So I was always thinking that it belongs to those weapons supplied by Germans to Afghanistan during 1WW... At least I owned there many nice 1WW-era German bayos... And all of them are simply identified, just this one is misterious

I measured the length of blade as well - to my knowledge it is for couple of cm-s longer than post-1WW czech long export bayos

Bruno

Interesting bayonet.

It has a muzzle ring so that tends to rule out German issue.

The hilt looks like a post war Mauser bayonet.

I would think the blade (due to length) can only come from the 98/05 which were made in large quantities by Mauser.

Many of these were supplied to Turkey.

Somehow it doesn't look like a Turkish modification.

My guess - Yugoslav conversion - Model 1924. I have seen both 98/05s and 98s converted by them.

How it ended up in A-Stan is one of life's little mysteries - there seems to be a lot of interesting weapons coming out of there.

That's the end of my thoughts - hopefully of some use/interest.

Regards

Richie

?

The piece is a export Belgium M24/30 long with faked Oberndorf marking and acceptance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast