Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?

Article about: Good eve, friends. I'd like to show you my only close-combat boot knife , or, nahkampfmesser. It's a pretty standard M42 type knife with a bowie-style (or clip-point if you like) blade, 3-ri

Default Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?

Good eve, friends. I'd like to show you my only close-combat "boot knife", or, nahkampfmesser. It's a pretty standard M42 type knife with a bowie-style (or clip-point if you like) blade, 3-rivet wood handle and black painted sheath with a clip. A bit of pitting and rust here and there, but overall in good, sound condition.

This one appears to be an unmarked example.

This is really the only one I've ever handled, but I believe it to be an original example. What do you think?

Enjoy!

Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?
    Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanteriemesser 42 - What do you think?
    P
    Many

I would say authentic but the knife was in rough condition and since been cleaned up, a lot of pitting and graying remains. The wood grip plates and rusted steel parts are all sanded back. The wood looks oiled but I'm wondering how the blade became so rusty if it had a scabbard? Possibly it didn't have a scabbard and the restorer has replaced the scabbard for the one missing or one too far gone rusty. I'd give a 5 out of 10 for desirability. There are better ones available.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I would say authentic but the knife was in rough condition and since been cleaned up, a lot of pitting and graying remains. The wood grip plates and rusted steel parts are all sanded back. The wood looks oiled but I'm wondering how the blade became so rusty if it had a scabbard? Possibly it didn't have a scabbard and the restorer has replaced the scabbard for the one missing or one too far gone rusty. I'd give a 5 out of 10 for desirability. There are better ones available.
    Thanks for the help, Anderson. This one goes fine with a mannequin display, but I'm confident I'll find a better example for collectability one of these days. Thanks again.

Hi,
    possibly Your Infanteriemesser 42 is, due to the design of the grip plates, an unmarked E.&F. HÖRSTER

Best regards,
    R.

Quote by Reibert View Post
    Hi,
    possibly Your Infanteriemesser 42 is, due to the design of the grip plates, an unmarked E.&F. HÖRSTER

Best regards,
    R.
    Thank you, Reibert! That's why this is such a great forum - I might not have found that information otherwise. Much appreciate the knowledge.