Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !

Article about: Hi, mates ! Wanna show you this very strange Austrian Mannlicher Ersatz-Scheide, (replacement-scabbard). Upon the scabbard, (beneath the frog-stud), an German Eagle is affixed ! After the An

Exclamation odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !

Hi, mates !

Wanna show you this very strange Austrian Mannlicher Ersatz-Scheide, (replacement-scabbard).

Upon the scabbard, (beneath the frog-stud), an "German Eagle" is affixed !

After the "Anschluß", (in actual fact: occupation !), in 1938, (former ), Austrian Army units were marching into the Sudetenland, still wearing austrian uniform´s, (but, with German Wehrmacht- insignias affixed !).

Mannlicher M95-rifles and carbines, (together with the bayonets), were still in use in this former Bundesheer-formation´s at this time.

I bought this particular scabbard together with an Mannlicher M95 NCO-bayonet years´s ago at a flea-market.
    The bayonet was hidden in a bunch of crockery and I bought it for only a few Euro´s ...

The "workmanship" appears pretty decent !

I was told, this kind of scabbard was worn by NCO´s until the "German dress bayonet" was introduced also in, (former), "Austrian" Wehrmacht-units.

In the book of LTC. Thomas M. Johnson "Collecting the edged weapons of the Third Reich, Volume III" you can see an resemblant eagle, affixed upon the scabbard of a German dress bayonet, on page 158 and 159.

Rgds.,

R.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !   odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !  

odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !   odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !  

odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !   odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !
    P
    Many

Default Re: odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !

I like it.

Default Re: odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    I like it.
    Yes, I like it also, but, IMO that isn´t a affirmation, this item is really "good", or "bad" ...

Some more pic´s, I shot at the day I bought this ensemble and another image which show´s Austrian Soldier´s close "pre Anschluß" at the shooting-range in Glanegg, Grödig, (near Salzburg).

Rgds.,

R.

BTW.:
    In Glanegg I was also firing some rounds during my basic military service ...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !   odd WWI-scabbard with Reichsadler !