Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

POLL & OPINIONS: WWII Dagger, Swords & Knife Storage

Article about: Fellow Blade Lovers, I have been collecting WWII edged weapons for almost 30 years now. I am always interested, open & intrigued in finding out how my fellow collectors store their value

?

Default POLL & OPINIONS: WWII Dagger, Swords & Knife Storage

Fellow Blade Lovers,

I have been collecting WWII edged weapons for almost 30 years now. I am always interested, open & intrigued in finding out how my fellow collectors store their valued edged weapons. Please opine with pictures or dialog. I personally have my method but open to learning any new tricks.

- In or out of scabbards? Concerns on scabbard internal runners and moisture damage to blade?
    - Wrapped scabbard & Blade separately in soft cotton or microfiber cloth?
    - Is there cloth type you prefer? Any materials that concern you with acids or moisture retention?
    - In a padded nylon zipper case like some of the dealers sell and offer?
    - Cloth Bags for Edged weapons also available from some dealers?
    - Laying flat in open on soft Jewelers cloth?
    - Do you apply light oil coat on your blades? If so what oil?
    - Safe or vault storage in humidty controlled area?
    - Display cases or racking?

Thanks! Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement POLL & OPINIONS:  WWII Dagger, Swords & Knife Storage
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Rossi,

I'm probably the worst to answer as I'm no expert on display and storage but I'm sure I will learn alot from this thread. Good idea!

1) majority of my bayonets are in scabbard, lying flat in a display cabinet
    2) most of my daggers are in the scabbard, on a few tiered wood displays that I built (like a set of stairs without the treads) to save what little space I have left!
    3) I put very light layer of sewing machine oil on them all.
    4) Humidity not a problem in my area

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Rossi

Im not a fan of putting any type of lubricant on any blade..as everything drys over time ( see this thread here and what happens when oil is put on dagger blades )

SA / SS Runners preservation

I display during the winter..( No humidity at least here ) and during the summer in padded bags with small ziplock size snak bags of rice..which is a natural moisture absorbent. These threads always seem to generate great responses and ideas .
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Rossi

Im not a fan of putting any type of lubricant on any blade..as everything drys over time.....
    See....I knew I would learn something....

Thanks Larry for the information

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Larry,

I personally am probably a little over board crazy. I have about 40 edged dress pieces in my collection. I keep all bayonets, daggers, knives and swords out of their scabbards. The blades I never put oil on for the concerns you state and have never polished or cleaned. I simply wipe them 3 times a year with a acid free micro fiber cloth. I then wrap them up in acid free cloth from each other and store in zippered padded nylon dagger pouches for a double layer protection. My vault has a humidity control so that helps as well.

Like I said. A little nuts I know. Have not had any changes in the pieces from year to year. So I look forward to hearing as well from others. The only downfall is I don't have them visibly displayed.

Thanks as always!

Rossi
    Last edited by Rossi; 10-24-2014 at 05:14 AM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Like I said. A little nuts I know. Have not had any changes in the pieces from year to year.
    This type of craziness is what holds its value....nothing wrong with going overboard..in preservation Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The climate you live in also plays a role in how you take care of your collection. I live in a very dry climate with normally low humidity. These are ideal for keeping your collection nice. I am sure sea air and high humidity and other factors are a major concern to lots of collectors.

Hello Rossi, I don't believe I have said this before,
    Welcome to the forum!
    I store the majority of my pieces out of the scabbards and most in display cases. As the atmosphere here is quite dry in the winter and relatively dry in the summer, there is little fear of rust developing unless due to poor storage.
    I clean any items when they arrive and sometimes actually, if the situation requires, make new wooden liners for my sword scabbards, (I always keep the originals). I will not oil any of my blades due to the fact that this will actually attract dust, and after cleaning, apply a light coat of Ren Wax. After that they only require the occasional check and wipe.
    Most of my bayonets are cleaned when they arrive and given a light coat of Ren Wax and put back into the scabbards.
    Here are a few photos of my displays.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture POLL & OPINIONS:  WWII Dagger, Swords & Knife Storage   POLL & OPINIONS:  WWII Dagger, Swords & Knife Storage  

POLL & OPINIONS:  WWII Dagger, Swords & Knife Storage  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I display most of my blades out of their scabbards
    in a wall mount cabinet. Some have been hanging
    there for 25 years. I wipe them occasionally with a
    soft cloth with gun oil on it. Then again with a dry cloth.
    I have not had any issues with this method.( I do plan
    on trying Ren wax as most collectors seem to agree this
    is a great product)

Of coarse it must be noted that I do not have any high
    value pieces so never felt the need to get too anal about
    this.
    Attached Images Attached Images POLL & OPINIONS:  WWII Dagger, Swords & Knife Storage 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I display my blades in the scabbards, as this is the way they appeared when being worn by the carrier during the time. ( personal preference )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast