Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Rad dagger

Article about: Hello all, I came across this RAD dagger for sale locally... These are the only pics available at this time... I’m iffy in regard to the motto on this blade, it appears sketchy to me... I

Default Rad dagger

Hello all,

I came across this RAD dagger for sale locally... These are the only pics available at this time...

I’m iffy in regard to the motto on this blade, it appears sketchy to me... I see some where the motto has black etching and some don’t, different variants? Different makers?

The scabbard looks to be in better condition than the blade... price is very high on this particular piece... Im curious as to what the forums take on it is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rad dagger   Rad dagger  

Rad dagger   Rad dagger  

Rad dagger   Rad dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rad dagger
    P
    Many

?

The Hewer looks heavily cleaned almost to the point of being sandblasted, what catches my attention is the absence of the symbol of permission to manufacture, the triangle with RLAD (Reichsleitung des Arbeitsdienstes) and GES GESH, however, it seems that Horster may have not followed this or was an earlier producer before rules and regulations went into effect, and this trait can be seen on other Hoster examples, you didn't mention the price but stated it was a considerable amount, for a higher priced Hewer one would expect a higher quality example, shop around and get a better piece that has a better chance of re-sale value if you choose to upgrade in the future, as for the scabbard ? JMO, G

Photo credit: Whittman Militaria / michal19
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rad dagger   Rad dagger  

Attached Images Attached Images Rad dagger 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Here is my Tiger Hewer for another maker mark comparison. Has the RAD acceptance stamp but lacks the Ges Gesch patent marking. Relative to Eickhorn blade marker stamps, here is a link that shows variations used. Unfortunately, does not include RAD.

wardaggers.com - Carl Eickhorn Maker Marks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rad dagger  

Thank you both for the info...

?

Can you get better pictures of the blade? I know from my own experience getting good pics of a Hewer like this can be tricky. You most likely have an example that was over scrubbed, as G pointed out earlier. Other examples of Eickhorn EM RAD maker stamps would be great.

I can send a message to the seller... see what happens

Hello,

I finally was able to get some better pics... scratches on blade look like from the scabbard. Some light rust and maybe light pitting too. The motto on the blade is what’s puzzling... It looks hand done to me, but I’ve read that some makers etching looked that way. Thoughts??... scabbard looks original to me as well. Not my area of knowledge...

Pictures aren't the greatest, but better than the originals that were sent to me. It may not be the greatest example... but i don’t think it’s the worst either.

Rad dagger   Rad dagger  

Rad dagger   Rad dagger  

Rad dagger   Rad dagger  

Rad dagger