Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

RAD DAGGER black spots on the blade

Article about: Hello. A few days ago, I bought this RAD dagger. When I looked at the pictures on the Internet, I noticed, in addition to rust, some black spots on the blade. I thought the stains were from

?

Default RAD DAGGER black spots on the blade

Hello. A few days ago, I bought this RAD dagger. When I looked at the pictures on the Internet, I noticed, in addition to rust, some black spots on the blade. I thought the stains were from old gun grease. After I received it I tried to clean the blade but these black spots proved to be very stubborn. What are they caused by and what can be removed? Is it necessary to clean the blade at all? So far I have only cleaned with a ballistol. I would appreciate any advice and clarification.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD DAGGER black spots on the blade   RAD DAGGER black spots on the blade  

RAD DAGGER black spots on the blade   RAD DAGGER black spots on the blade  

RAD DAGGER black spots on the blade  
    Last edited by georgi; 02-27-2023 at 07:08 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RAD DAGGER black spots on the blade
    P
    Many

?

Hello, it looks like someone was aggressive while cleaning the blade, and it appears to have been sharpened at some point, Larry and the other blade experts could probably determine what has happened to this item in further detail concerning the discoloration..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD DAGGER black spots on the blade  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Yes, there is indeed some interference but unfortunately I hadn't noticed until now. I need to look more carefully before I buy. Here's another picture. I think the damage is actually smaller. Thanks for the comment, I hadn't seen this damage though.RAD DAGGER black spots on the bladeRAD DAGGER black spots on the blade

The RAD knife was a tool so did get used and hence was often sharpened. I think the black areas are where the original plating has been removed through use or cleaning and the steel beneath has simply reacted with its surroundings including oils to prevent conventional rust.

Take notice to the near tip of the blade that still has its shine compared to the rest of the blade.

Gwar brings up a good point about the sharpening that the dulled area of the blade shows a "swath " of it being used.

The black I dont see that as being blade cancer and is something else either what Yeo has pointed out or even grease. I cant say for sure as the photos are not sharp enough.
    I also see some pitting in some areas of the blade.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I'm thinking of lining the blade with WD40 and not touching it anymore.Thanks for the opinions. They are useful for me. I hope that in time I will gain some experience and fill my collection with nice daggers. The problem is that in Bulgaria the supply of such items is very limited and everything I buy is selected based on photos. There's always something hidden in the photos.

Thanks Georgi.