Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Railway Leaders 1st Pattern

Article about: Hi All ..... I’ve just noticed Lakesidetrader are selling a 1st Patt Leaders RailwayDagger on their website .... it states that Tom Johnson originally sold the dagger for \\$4350 as a totally

Default Railway Leaders 1st Pattern

Hi All .....
    I’ve just noticed Lakesidetrader are selling a 1st Patt Leaders RailwayDagger on their website .... it states that Tom Johnson originally sold the dagger for $4350 as a totally original dagger complete with rare Hangers, (it even shows the ordinal link to Johnson’s web-page where these were advertised)..however this dagger is now being sold by Lakesidetrader at a reduced rate $1999 because in their opinion the Hangers are a post war copy!!

These two Dealers are experts in their field .... I’ve read all Johnson’s books and he is the main reason I stuck to collecting Third Reich Daggers... over 30 years.
    I’ve also had dealings with Paul at Lakesidetrader with no issues.

Who can we take as the Authority on these sort of thing So?

I have contacted both parties to try and clarify this issue.
    Tom Johnson has responded, in his opinion they were sold as 100% original.. however Paul @ Lakesidetrader has yet not responded to the e-mail sent several weeks ago.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Railway Leaders 1st Pattern
    P
    Many

?

See what Paul does reply with. I tend to agree based on pictures that they are post war. However having them in hand to feel and see weave and material construction is always the best. Based on hardware look I am feeling Paul is correct.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thanks Rossi .... I wonder how Tom Johnson let this one slip through the net.

How many more are there out there that’s not quite right

Quote by Stevade View Post
    Thanks Rossi .... I wonder how Tom Johnson let this one slip through the net.

How many more are there out there that’s not quite right
    No one is perfect, is all I will say.
    Doesn't matter who you buy from, know your stuff.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I would say that neither men should be discredited but ..I would believe that new data surfaces in this age of technology how easily and readily repros are produced.

The repros these days compared to 40 years ago have excelled in quality and under a very trained eye would they be able to be discernible.
    I would say no one is at fault here ..and this hobby needs to be studied further to keep up with the mass fakes being pumped out into the market place.

The Teno dagger is a great example of near perfection of faked daggers.
    Those who study the truth will be revealed.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Paul and I dealt on a nice 2nd Model Horster about 18 months ago. When I got the dagger and hangers I immediately contacted him as the hangers were post war. He did the right thing and took the hangers back no question. In this hobby it is not if an issue arises it is when and how it is handled. Same with Tom Johnson. Years ago we dealt on a early Kriegsmarine. When I got it I had issues with the etch on the blade. We agreed to disagree and he took the dagger back with no question and we traded items in which he returned to me. We are all human and whether collector or dealer it is how you present the issue and treat each other. The hobby at times gets testy between collector and dealer. In all my dealings with Paul and 1 transaction with Tom there was nothing but positive. We are all human and cannot be Omniscient on the entire hobby. Diplomacy is the order of the day and how we talk to each other even though we may not agree.

?

Oorah Ralph!

Rossi

I agree with you Larry ... how can you know your stuff without having the genuine in your hand to compare.
    I have been to many of Arms Fairs etc etc! Dealt with many dealers who in their opinion what they have for display or purchase are the genuine item.
    Unless you have a genuine comparison it doesn’t matter what material you have read up on or references you have to hand .... there’s always going to be that doubt.
    Its not a case of “Know your Stuff” we all started as beginners.

I agree with this as well but, if you don't "know your stuff", do your research, or ask those who do.
    And make sure there is a good return policy.
    I have no doubt that Paul would do the right thing.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I agree with you Larry ... how can you know your stuff without having the genuine in your hand to compare.
    I have been to many of Arms Fairs etc etc! Dealt with many dealers who in their opinion what they have for display or purchase are the genuine item.
    Unless you have a genuine comparison it doesn’t matter what material you have read up on or references you have to hand .... there’s always going to be that doubt.
    This is true. If you are subjected to fakes from reputable dealers early on in your collecting...how will you ever learn ? The first two or three items one handles are good quality fakes... one will get lost. This is a problem without an answer.
    D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast