Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Red cross dagger pdl

Article about: Hello. Today I am showing this red cross dagger PDL. This is the first TR item which I bought. I think this is a good example. The hidden markings characteristic of PDL are also visible.Ther

?

Default Red cross dagger pdl

Hello. Today I am showing this red cross dagger PDL. This is the first TR item which I bought. I think this is a good example. The hidden markings characteristic of PDL are also visible.There are also several markings on the frog.
    Regards Georgi.
    Red cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlRed cross dagger pdlrgi.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red cross dagger pdl
    P
    Many

?

Nice EM DRK, for future I do strongly suggest not taking daggers apart unless there is something that needs to be fixed. You are more likely to break something taking apart and putting them back together and often the info you gain by opening them up can be found by the details of the dagger itself. In this case those plates break really easily if over tightened.

In support of MEE`s reply ....the more you study and research there will be a less need to take down a dagger or knife ...and one can know just by the certain details on the outside ...that an edged weapon is correct.

Always post an edged weapon first and get the thoughts from the " type " collectors ...and if something doesnt look right...they will tell you without taking it apart...but only as a last resort with no other options..one can go through that process.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Very Nice ,, nice addition to any collection
    Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Great example. But I will echo what has been said that it is not advised to take the handguards off as they can chip, and the screws can be stripped. I also see damage to the screws already which is unfortunate. Each time you put the screwdriver head in to turn the screw it distorts and misshapes the slot.

I will add that there is another way to determine if this hewer is PDL manufactured without taking the handguards off. The other indicator that this is a PDL made hewer is the lack of 2 retaining screws on the scabbard tip. There were only 2 authorized makers of the Red Cross Hewer, PDL and Klaas. The Ges. Gesch patent stamp is on the front side of the blade (under the Eagle crest on the blade). Ges on the front of the blade is exclusively on PDL style hewers.

I can't tell from these images if the scabbard tip has retaining screws or not...

Now with that being said if the scabbard is not matching to the blade and it has the retaining screws it is mismatched, and the scabbard will be a Klaas scabbard.

Research and knowing the makers and their variations will also help determine right vs wrong.

Smitty

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Great example. But I will echo what has been said that it is not advised to take the handguards off as they can chip, and the screws can be stripped. I also see damage to the screws already which is unfortunate. Each time you put the screwdriver head in to turn the screw it distorts and misshapes the slot.

I will add that there is another way to determine if this hewer is PDL manufactured without taking the handguards off. The other indicator that this is a PDL made hewer is the lack of 2 retaining screws on the scabbard tip. There were only 2 authorized makers of the Red Cross Hewer, PDL and Klaas. The Ges. Gesch patent stamp is on the front side of the blade (under the Eagle crest on the blade). Ges on the front of the blade is exclusively on PDL style hewers.

I can't tell from these images if the scabbard tip has retaining screws or not...

Now with that being said if the scabbard is not matching to the blade and it has the retaining screws it is mismatched, and the scabbard will be a Klaas scabbard.

Research and knowing the makers and their variations will also help determine right vs wrong.

Smitty
    You can use the eagle to tell who manufactured these. PDL eagle is significantly different from the Klaas in most ways, from the cross, the swastika, the feet, the legs, are all different. Even the screws used to hold the throat are different from Klaas to PDL, you will see both on this one. PDL used a larger round screw and Klaas used a flatter screw. There are many other tells between the two also but the eagle is always a dead give away.

The Ges can be on front or back on both but it is far rarer for the Klaas to be on the front, 4 examples of them under the front on eagles that are consistant with the eagle attributed with the Klaas out of 130 example (145 additional in my list did not have a way to tell if they were front or back since there was no photo evidence taken of a ges mark).
    Last edited by M.E.E.; 07-22-2023 at 10:51 PM.

?

Is that the correct frog for this Hauer? I have difficulty reading all the markings, but I tend to think this is a Luftwaffe frog.

?

Hello. Thanks everyone for your opinions. They are useful for me.

Thanks Georgi.

TWS
    ?

Quote by Kilian View Post
    Is that the correct frog for this Hauer? I have difficulty reading all the markings, but I tend to think this is a Luftwaffe frog.
    It has Luftwaffe markings on it.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Hi Killian. I really noticed now that the frog is brown and looks like a Luftwaffe bayonet. On one side, the seam is torn because this scabbard is wider. The "LBA" marking is characteristic of the Luftwaffe. The other marking I assume is an equipment warehouse designation. On all the red cross daggers I have looked at the frog is black and some have an "H" mark, the hole for hanging the dagger is smaller and there is a third stitch on the reverse.
    Have you come across other examples with such a frog?
    I think this frog is also a good example. I don't think I'll change it for now.
    We can assume that this dagger was carried by a medic on military service in the Luftwaffe.
    Thanks Georgi.Red cross dagger pdl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast