Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Research and Study

Article about: Although George Carlin was a comedian realist ..this thread is not about him or his achievements...but his quote seen below should be taken seriously. Not as parents here ...but as mentors f

Default Research and Study

Although George Carlin was a comedian realist ..this thread is not about him or his achievements...but his quote seen below should be taken seriously.
    Not as parents here ...but as mentors for those newbies who come onto this website and many others ..who look for the quick answer and gaining nothing important in their brains.

Dont let someone else dictate to you the answers you are seeking..but search the answers yourself and beware of false teachers in this hobby non of which will come in and say here I am ...but quietly slither in and give you watered down advice for their own agenda. Dont just read it and accept it ..because anyone can read anything and BE told to believe it. Its YOUR Money and invest wisely in the item and the person you are buying from.

" Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see " .. is a true quote !

Reputation doesnt mean Sh*t anymore and question experience for yourself by reading and studying more to make sure that experience coming from that source holds truth.

Research and Study
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Research and Study
    P
    Many

Good point Larry. There's also that old over used saying "knowledge is power", but it is true when it comes to militaria collecting, where some items can be expensive and often faked. The only way a new collector can protect themselves from buying a dud or overpaying for something, either from a dealer or private sale, is to learn everything they can about the subject. If you are too lazy to put in the time, then you become at risk of making a potentially costly mistake. And relying on other people to give the thumbs up all the time is never really as satisfying as being able to work it out yourself.

I agree knowledge is the key, as even experts / long time collectors can make mistakes, and that mistake passed on to a new collector can be expensive or kill a good item. So yes research to protect yourself. Become the future expert .

?

Research is needed otherwise you will pay a lot of money for stuff that can be worthless.
    Unfortunate the search bar on top does not funtion anymore, for years it was a great help, i hope someone can look into that!

Ger

I will reach out to Dimas about that search function. Thanks for the alert...a tool well needed here. !!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thx Larry!

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    I will reach out to Dimas about that search function. Thanks for the alert...a tool well needed here. !!
    Larry the searchbar is working fine again!
    Thx for reaching out.

Ger

There are other search bars too... but people tend to forget about them because they are not on the forum. Before the internet it was libraries and official records, and there were - and still are - reference books and other websites. But for many, they will take the easy option of asking on the forum: 'What have I just bought?' This isn't a criticism, but more of an acceptance of how many collectors choose to conduct their 'research'. Conducting proper research for your own satisfaction is one of the most rewarding aspects of collecting militaria.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    There are other search bars too... but people tend to forget about them because they are not on the forum. Before the internet it was libraries and official records, and there were - and still are - reference books and other websites. But for many, they will take the easy option of asking on the forum: 'What have I just bought?' This isn't a criticism, but more of an acceptance of how many collectors choose to conduct their 'research'. Conducting proper research for your own satisfaction is one of the most rewarding aspects of collecting militaria.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Not just one of the most rewarding, but I’d say one of the most important. This hobby thrives on knowledge. It’s the core of it all. We collect these things because we want to learn about them, and so it’s important that we follow that mantra to the letter. If we let other people do our research for us, what’s the point of collecting? It would be like buying a book and never reading it, or having someone else read it on our behalf.

B.B.

?

Steve i know most of the questions are as you put it: Is this real?

I pointed out to the search bar because this website is loaded, it contains so much reference material that a lot of questions are answered just by using the searchbar and look at other similar items.
    I have posted here several hundreds daggers for the sake of reference that its a pity if those arent used for study, and im just one of the posters.......

Ger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast