Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Researching Red Cross Hewers and could use some information.

Article about: Hi, I thought I would ask for a little help with the forum regarding German Red Cross (DRK) hewers. I have been collecting DRK items for 15+ years so I am always watching when anything DRK g

?

Default Researching Red Cross Hewers and could use some information.

Hi, I thought I would ask for a little help with the forum regarding German Red Cross (DRK) hewers. I have been collecting DRK items for 15+ years so I am always watching when anything DRK goes up for sale and started noticing a pattern with DRK hewers and makers. If you know what you are looking for you can spot the maker by the eagle instead of the old method of how many screws on a scabbard (since scabbards moved around after the war not the best way to tell).

I have a spread sheet with over 130 different hewers (and one for leaders but that is a whole other can of worms). I have made the spread sheet from hewers posted here, other sites and retail sellers, the problem with this is that often people don't show all the information I am looking for. That is where I can use some help. If you have a hewer that has been posted here would I be able to get information if it was marked Ges. Gesch. and what side, and if you have opened up your hewer if it was marked (please don't open it up on my part).

I am just trying to get a big enough sample size to be certain of what I am seeing. I will post the differences once I finished so it can help the community identify these blades easier. Feel free to ask questions or add any hewers that haven't been posted here before so I can see and add them or pm if you would rather give the information that way. I am going to be asking this on several sites to get a larger sample size.
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Larry C; 01-15-2018 at 11:30 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Researching Red Cross Hewers and could use some information.
    P
    Many

?

Mark i wish you good luck on your research, and if i can be of any help i will.
    Regards
    Ger

?

Thanks Gerrit,
    At this point with the information I have I can id almost all of hewers with just 1/2 of a front cross guard picture, but I am also seeing if there is any correlation between placement or lack of placement with the trade protection marking. I have also found a fake DRK hewer (2 in 130 right now) that pops up a few times and a fake leaders (3 in 70 but I am not done with leaders yet).

?

Besides the post that i made several years ago i havent seen any opened DRK hewer since.
    What interested to me is to see the different guards next to eachother besides their tang/gripplate markings.
    What also very strange is the Eickhorn catalogue which shows a DRK hewer, and the real surprise would be an opened one with a Eickhorn marking on it!

looking forward to the results of your researh, i'm always looking for data and facts to absorb

best
    Ger