MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Rummage sale scores. Daggers and dress bayonet

Article about: y rummage sale scores. What is the "lion" maker mark on the fireman's bayonet? Should I get the blades retipped, and by who? How do I clean the troddel? Any other ifno is appreciat

Default Rummage sale scores. Daggers and dress bayonet

My rummage sale scores. What is the "lion" maker mark on the fireman's bayonet? Can I get the dress bayonet grips replaced--where? Should I get the dagger blades retipped, and by who? How do I clean the troddel? Any other ifno is appreciated.

U D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rummage sale scores.  Daggers and dress bayonet   Rummage sale scores.  Daggers and dress bayonet  

Rummage sale scores.  Daggers and dress bayonet   Rummage sale scores.  Daggers and dress bayonet  

Rummage sale scores.  Daggers and dress bayonet   Rummage sale scores.  Daggers and dress bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rummage sale scores.  Daggers and dress bayonet
    P
    Many

looks like you had a good rummage.

Nice score assuming the price was really cheap. I wouldnt worry about retipping or fixing them up too much besides some simichrome polish on the blades, you will just spend more money on restoring them and they will have little resale value once restored since they are all commonly found edged weapons IMO. you may find grips plates for the bayo on ebay, the SA dagger is a nice honest looking early one with a blonde grip, shame about the blade, but it is still by far the best of the lot! dont try to clean the dagger fittings or troddel!!! collectors want that nice even patina and aged look, so just enjoy them for how they were found.

Is a nice group of Parts for the restorationists. The hangers are always in demand, not to mention good grips,guards,pommels, etc.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for the advise.

U D

Hi Uncle D...welcome to the forum..if you may...please post separately..the Luftwaffe dagger in this Forum here >> https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/luftwaffe/

and the SA dagger here >>https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/sa-dienstdolch/ ..... in these forums for further study..so as to keep all information and research only pertaining to that dagger within its own forum for quicker access to study.

Sad to See that SA Dagger Producer FA Helbig and the tip broken off..that is not an easy producer to find.

The firemans bayonet from an earlier discussion is not deemed a K98 type..and will move this whole thread to the Main Dagger forum for review. Please if you get a chance separate the 2 daggers I specified. Looks like some great finds regardless of its issues. Enjoy your stay ..Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The lion mark you show on the fire bayonet is for C. Lütters, one of two marks the Lütters firm used. I suppose it's true that the grip plate can be replaced but it is not an easy fix. You have to find a plate that fits (they were made by many manufacturers & not all the same) & then have it expertly riveted which is not as easy as it sounds.

A shame the plate that is damaged is the obverse because were it the reverse, it would still display nicely. Personally, it's a tough fix & might cost you more than the overall piece is worth. The same can be said for the SA dagger with broken tip. A retipped dagger is worth much less than a typical one & will always show the signs of the work. Too bad too,an early Helbig mark isn't that common.

Thanks, Billy G. I could not find that maker's mark.

U D