Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

S98aA "quillback" bayonet

Article about: Searched the forum and did not find an S98aA(old model) quillback bayonet, so I thought I would add mine. It is a first model S98 with one piece grip, made by Erfurt in 1902 for Prussia, reg

?

Default S98aA "quillback" bayonet

Searched the forum and did not find an S98aA(old model) quillback bayonet, so I thought I would add mine. It is a first model S98 with one piece grip, made by Erfurt in 1902 for Prussia, regimentally marked to the 2nd squadron of the 47th reserve infantry division out of Westphalia. The S98 did not fare well in combat as the long slender blade was prone to breakage as was the scabbard. The quillback was meant to have the same reach as the French 1886 lebel "epee" bayonet.

It is rare to find an intact 1st model in combat configuration due to its proclivity for breakage of the blade an it's fragile one piece grip. Many were re-gripped and/or the blade shortened by Germany during WW1 and many countries afterward.

Here is a short combat history of the unit from Wikipedia:
    The 47th Reserve Division initially fought on the Western Front, entering the line in October between the Meuse and Moselle and remaining there until late November, when it was transported to the Eastern Front. It fought in the Limanowa-Lapanow in December 1914 suffering heavy casualties and Gorlice-Tarnów Offensive in 1915. In May 1917, it returned to the Western Front, and occupied the line near Verdun. In 1918, the division fought in the German Spring Offensive, breaking through at St.Quentin–La Fère and fighting on to the Montdidier-Noyon region. It later saw action in the Second Battle of the Marne. The division was in Lorraine when it was disbanded on August 2, 1918. In 1917, Allied intelligence rated the division as a mediocre division. In 1918 it was rated second class, and it was noted that its strength had been allowed to diminish without replenishment, leading to its dissolution

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture S98aA "quillback" bayonet   S98aA "quillback" bayonet  

S98aA "quillback" bayonet   S98aA "quillback" bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement S98aA "quillback" bayonet
    P
    Many

Wow !! Lovely ...look at the length of that blade. Bayonets of this length and almost the length of the rifle..may been a reason to shorten it..to the K98 style seen now. I cant imagine trying to run and wing the gun around to use it..on someone. The weight and bulkiness..would be a deterrent of actually getting the gun around in time..or even taking the time to pull the bayonet out of it sheath!! Still I like it alot. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Nice example.