Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Teno leader dagger

Article about: Hello again. Today I am showing a dagger which is called a minefield or TENO LEADER DAGGER. Although these daggers are rare, I have looked at over ten that are currently available. I guess m

?

Default Teno leader dagger

Hello again. Today I am showing a dagger which is called a minefield or TENO LEADER DAGGER. Although these daggers are rare, I have looked at over ten that are currently available. I guess most are fake. I have been looking at different TENO leader daggers for a month, and in the end I think this one matches the originals shown in the forum the most, but all examples have some minimal differences. I looked at the thread "The Teno Leaders Dagger - The Good, Bad and the Ugly" and definitely this dagger does not match the fake parts shown, but there are some questionable details. The details of the handle are different from the originals shown, there are some differences in the circles of the tip. There is a visible difference in the handles of the daggers in the comparison thread on the forum, but I can't tell from the pictures if the handle length is correct.
    My judgment is based only on not very good photos and little experience. In this difficult situation for me, your opinions and experience will be very valuable to me. I ask for your opinions and advice.
    Thanks in advance Georgi.Teno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader daggerTeno leader dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Teno leader dagger
    P
    Many

?

The dagger has markings on the blade and on the scabbard. I will take more pictures.

Georgi.

Is that number 1580 on the throat and blade?

I had one of these years ago and from what I see In my opinion I think it's an era produced item. The clear lacquer finish has some lifting on the cross guard obverse I think is another good sign. The straps look to be original too.

I am certain others will provide their opinion shortly.

There is a pinned thread here that should be considered and compare closely upon both examples in the link and the Teno in this thread.
    Watch out !

The Teno Leaders Dagger - The Good, Bad and the Ugly
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry C, I had no idea that the Teno High Leader dagger reproductions have gotten so close to the originals in details.

The pommel nut seen here for the subject of this thread has cast shadow seam and appears irregular in it's finish. Could it be possible that this was taken down to tighten a loose assembly?

It looks like the cast mark is somewhat still there but nothing like what a unmessed with pommel should look like.

The cross guard detail to me looks original but gee, to make the correct decision you'd have to have an original and the newer reproduction in hand to understand what your looking at.

The scabbard details, but how do you tell?

Another original dagger I had but sold years ago and sadly I have no reference images of it for use.

If the dagger is serial # 1580 as well as the throat number, I've seen this and I must say the numbers do look correct. The 8 on the throat is upside down and that made me realize that the dagger is debatable. I know hand stamps can be a headache when applied and can be an issue for proper side up, especially with the number 8. I've seen upside down 8's on Lugers and P38 Walthers before but on those it is acceptable.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Teno leader dagger   Teno leader dagger  

?

Yes, that's the number.

Georgi.

?

Hi Larry. I have looked into this topic. There is a difference in some details with both daggers shown there. It is more similar to the original, but there is a visible difference in the round tip. There is no mark from the cast on the left, and there is no trace of contact between the tip and the top of the handle. If there is some other photo of a real tip for comparison that would be great. All the daggers I have looked at have slight differences from the original shown in this thread.
    Thanks Georgi.

?

Its a nice original, hangers are original too.
    Its in worn condition, and the scabbard is missing its blackening, but other then that i like what i see.
    If you want to be sure then ask the seller to put it on a a scale, i have looked at the weights of these daggers (of 9 original i have weights) and hangers for a very long time and they all are within a 12 gramm range, so more or less only 6 gramms from the average.
    The fake ones don't

Dont publish the weights here but give me a PM i will not give that away to any forger who reads this post.

Cheers
    Ger

Im not comfortable with the logo and the ges gesch eagle ...there is no depth to it and looks stamped on ..and im seeing other discrepancies in the detail of it.

Im think there is some original and some post war fittings.

These Tenos are extremely hard ...and is just a matter of my opinion of my thoughts.
    Scary stuff

I would rather deal with an angry woman first before putting out any money on a dagger like this unless I knew for a fact it came from a Vets foot locker and not handed down the line for decades .

" Strict Provenance " are needed with these Teno leaders.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

As i said Larry its all in the weight bro
    I have not seen a 100% identical logo on the 9 original ones i saw, small differences are not a problem
    I do not see any red flag sofar.
    Lets wait for the weight of dagger ( without portepee) and hanger.
    The crossgrain on all originals is typical Eickhorn.
    Would like to see addition pics on a 45 degree angle that shows the grain.

Other then that my advise would be a 30 days return back warranty without the need to specify why.
    If its a legit dealer then this will be no problem.

Ger

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast