Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unusual RAD Officers Hewer

Article about: This is being sold on Whittmans, I really don't care for it one bit, I had a friend that sent me a few pics of an identical dagger less the sharpening from the U.K., any comments are welcome

?

Default Unusual RAD Officers Hewer

This is being sold on Whittmans, I really don't care for it one bit, I had a friend that sent me a few pics of an identical dagger less the sharpening from the U.K., any comments are welcome
    Here is the description given by Whittman

"This RAD Hewer is a real anomaly, and for those that like to use their brain, it is a most interesting original Third Reich artifact. The Officer's Hewer has an enlisted man's style hilt, and has an officer's blade with RAD Offficer's scabbard. Studying the edged weapon, it appears to have been definitely worn during the period. It also balances perfectly on a 45 degree angle, when held by the upper hanging ring. It is my belief that this hewer was made especially for an RAD leader that may have been assigned to Prague or one of the districts in Bohemia, and Moravia.

The hilt of the hewer has been lightly trimmed on the crossguard area around the lower quillon. This trimming or thinning of the area makes the hilt flow much nicer with the scabbard, and is a good touch. The ferrule and beak area at the pommel appear to be the same as a standard RAD hewer. The crossguard area does not appear to have ever had the darkening in the grooves. The plating throughout the hilt is maybe 60-70%, showing wear in the areas where one would expect it to be, enduring usage from the original wearer's hand. Instead of the normal stag plates, the officer's option has been accomplished through the installation of ivorine or celluloid grip plates. These grip plates have been masterfully cut and fitted and are an exact mount to the countersunk area, precisely matching the edges of the beak pommel and upper ferrule. The grip plates have age toned to an ivory color, and remain in perfect condition. Both plates are retained by screw and spanner hardware, in the normal RAD EM manner. Inserted into the obverse grip plate, is an enameled Hitler Youth insignia, the type of which was used in Czechloslovakia. The insignia has perfect enamel, except for the 3 o'clock diamond point, where there is a small chip. The insignia consists of the black enamel swastika within a silver diamond which is inlaid in a shield shaped device, having red enamel edges with white center. This enamel shield is slightly loose, an indication that it is pinned through the obverse grip.

The scabbard is a standard RAD officer example, with the exception that it does not have any screws that retain the throat. The silvering is still nearly 100% throughout the scabbard, having just a couple of tiny lifts toward the lower chape area. The scabbard features the standard RAD curls at the top with a pair of wheat shafts below, which are the type that touch eachother. There are matching wheat shafts on the lower portion of the scabbard. The pebbled panels appear on both sides, and they are the type that have a slight blue color to their background. This scabbard is in nice condition throughout. The right edge has the two carrying brackets which are in the shape of an ear.

The blade is the officer's type, and it is in choice condition, still being mint. The blade is equipped with the two fullers, one which runs on either side of the blade. The RAD motto "Arbeit adelt" is precisely etched and retains 100% of its original background darkening. The reverse of this beautiful blade is etched with the knighthead trademark, beneath which are the initials of the firm and its location, "WKC Solingen". There is the slightest of sharpening that appears on the lower side of the obverse blade, and just a little bit on the reverse side towards the end. Otherwise, this blade is in mint condition. A most interesting edged weapon here, and a great example for those of you out there that want something that is non-standard. It is amazing as we travel through the decades of this hobby, that we still seem to turn up never before seen items."

It looks to me like one of the Chinese fakes with a ground blade and added insignia for a 'Unique' look, the grip and guard do not even resemble a real RAD Officers model dagger.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual RAD Officers Hewer   Unusual RAD Officers Hewer  

Unusual RAD Officers Hewer   Unusual RAD Officers Hewer  

I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual RAD Officers Hewer
    P
    Many

?

As a RAD collector myself, on a small scale, what do others have to say about this Hewer. I've never seen anything like it. To be sure, it has some rough features etc. I have my opinion of the piece. The price is not that high for a piece so uncommon. Anyone else seen one of these? Thanks for posting G.

Im curious of the insignia that was used in the Czech republic and what was it used on?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hey GWAR,

You are correct, VERY Unusual indeed! Mostly built up of Repro parts. The scabbard, first of all, is a complete Fake from the Early to Mid 2000's that were originally sold out of Austria.
    I am including a pic of one I dug out of my "Junk" Pile. The first tip off is the lack of screws which would make the use of metal runners almost impossible. These were fitted with wood inserts to hold the blade. It appears that someone may have enhanced the engraved lines somewhat as they were pretty shallow on these.

Unusual RAD Officers HewerUnusual RAD Officers Hewer

I am going to wait for comments on this part before I go on. There is quite a bit to unpack on this "Thing"!!

SAmann
    Last edited by SAMann; 07-17-2021 at 07:15 AM.

?

Good eye SAMann, G Attachment 1518043
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual RAD Officers Hewer   Unusual RAD Officers Hewer  

Last edited by Gwar; 07-17-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Why doesn't Wittmann know this? You'd think by now he would have a healthy suspicion of "real anomaly" edged weapons that turn up out of the blue.

?

OK Gwar, I will bite. are you saying there were "Original" Czech RAD Leader scabs without screws?

?

OK Guys, Moving on! The grip on the "unusual" one has strangely flattened sides as you can see from the first set of pics posted by Gwar.

While an Original casting from my "Parts" Pile has rounded out details on the crossguard.

Unusual RAD Officers HewerUnusual RAD Officers Hewer

Comments?? And then More to Come!

SAmann

?

Moving on. Please educate and enlighten us all relative to the "Czech Rad" grips. Examples please. And any historical information on this RAD group would be great.

?

Quote by SAMann View Post
    OK Gwar, I will bite. are you saying there were "Original" Czech RAD Leader scabs without screws?
    Not in any way, it was merely to illustrate two items for comparison, I have edited my second post with the added script.. G

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast