Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why Can't People Make 100% Exact Copies?

Article about: Hey, I have been browsing this forum looking at certain daggers and items, and I seen a few posts which talk about how to spot a fake and some daggers which have flaws which expose them as n

BLlTZKRIEG
    ?

Question Why Can't People Make 100% Exact Copies?

Hey, I have been browsing this forum looking at certain daggers and items, and I seen a few posts which talk about how to spot a fake and some daggers which have flaws which expose them as not being authentic, and this makes me wonder, why?

These daggers are from almost 100 years ago at this stage, blacksmithing and weapon creation has come a long way since then, for example;

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/272157...-1/s-l1000.jpg - A sword from a video game, this sword did not exist in real life, yet they were able to create it, when it has much higher detail, than for example; an SS chained dagger.

with this in mind, why couldn't someone just completely recreate an SS dagger without any flaws? are they lazy? they see it as unethical? they don't have access to the original materials used in the forging?

I just don't understand why.

Thanks

2. # ADS

I believe that the costs involved to recreate old technology and manufacturing techniques as well as exact materials would likely end up costing more than the item they were trying to replicate. But, for what it's worth, they are,indeed, improving year by year and some pieces that are being turned out today are getting Damned good-good enough to fool even the occasional advanced collector.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Great thread

Exact copies would only benefit the scammers when sold to the unstudied mind. Yet to the advanced collectors ... A note challenging review.

Wagriff nailed it about materials then and now. Much of the materials have been copied enough to fool the unlearned eyes easily.
    The problem that still plagues the fakers... They will never get it exact and you can't copy a classic.

Twin children are not exactly the same even identical twins..there is always one small detail that separates them.

Parents know their children as the studied collector knows his .

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I totally agree with what William says, its: time vs profit, and modern tools vs old tools and skills...and THAT is why we can see the difference.
    You think a modern blacksmith would take the time to forge a blade, instead of casting, grain it and after that set the crossgrain on it with a leather polishers belt?
    It took a lot of time to create a SA dagger these days, but labour was affordable back then.....

These old skills learned in the factory took years and years before you were qualified to made a blade that could stand up to the high standards of the Solingen swords industry.
    The old polishing tools are gone, to put the end finish on a blade what we now call crossgrain ( and desire!) was in fact a non desirable issue back then, the tried to get a mirror like polish on the blade and seeing the grain in the light reflecting was in fact not what they were aiming at: a mirror polished blade.
    Luckily for us there is cross grain

Best
    Ger

It is much harder to copy the flaws that were inherently present with the manufacturing process used than the outward form of an object. Acid etch pimpling and cross graining are just 2 examples where this shows up as the fakers don't use these methods.

Steve

Quote by No1canuck View Post
    It is much harder to copy the flaws that were inherently present with the manufacturing process used than the outward form of an object. Acid etch pimpling and cross graining are just 2 examples where this shows up as the fakers don't use these methods.

Steve
    Exactly. This is why so many fakes are almost always found in "rough condition". They pre-age them to the same recognizable condition to vainly try to obscure and hide the lack of these indications of authenticity. Sometimes they foolishly pre-age Just the blades on the daggers, as it is here that they know they will be called out on.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

When the 100% Exact Copies are produced that is when i give up collecting forever !!!

Its bad enough these days when well known "DEALERS" respected by some but not me sell FAKES now for big money without a care in the world, Cash is King in there World

Heres one : Wittmann Militaria #39133C SS Full Roehm Inscription Dagger - Carl Eickhorn

Maybe they do..how would we know

?

[QUOTE=Mac 66;1693212]

Its bad enough these days when well known "DEALERS" respected by some but not me sell FAKES now for big money without a care in the world, Cash is King in there World

Heres one : [url=http://www.wwiidaggers.com/39133.htm]Wittmann Militaria #39133C SS Full Roehm Inscription Dagger

Is there no trading standards in America, a dealer knowingly selling fake items for thousands of dollars should be prosecuted under the trading standards act. Perhaps someone might want to drop them a line.

?

[QUOTE=Tomaz;1693479]

Is there no trading standards in America, a dealer knowingly selling fake items for thousands of dollars should be prosecuted under the trading standards act. Perhaps someone might want to drop them a line.

Do not think anybody has the balls, you cannot grass on the great master

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast