Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Matched Number Mauser Bayonet Set?

Article about: Hi Gents Please have a look on this bayonet set.I was told it's WWI German set made by mauser. There are matched maker's marker and number 6078 on both blade and scabbard. Anyone knows any d

Default WWI Matched Number Mauser Bayonet Set?

Hi Gents
    Please have a look on this bayonet set.I was told it's WWI German set made by mauser. There are matched maker's marker and number 6078 on both blade and scabbard. Anyone knows any detail information about it? Thanks for help.

ps. The last pic shows the condition of its blade before I clean it.

Kevin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Matched Number Mauser Bayonet Set?   WWI Matched Number Mauser Bayonet Set?  

WWI Matched Number Mauser Bayonet Set?   WWI Matched Number Mauser Bayonet Set?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI Matched Number Mauser Bayonet Set?
    P
    Many

Default Re: WWI Matched Number Mauser Bayonet Set?

kevin710, your bayonet is the model 98/05, one of a wide variety of bayonets used by the Imperial German army, obviously made by 'Waffenfabrik Mauser AG Oberndorf a N', as marked on the blade, the 'W 18' mark on spine of blade is the 'Klingruckenstempel' indicating year the bayonet was taken into use, 'W' stands for 'Wilhelm' and '18' for 1918. The smaller stamp on the top of the handel is the acceptance mark, the 'Abnahmestempel'. It is the 'new pattern model, the so called 'n.A' (Neuer Art), it has the addition of a metal flashguard under the wooden handle to prevent damage when firing the rifle, and also has a metal scabbard, earlier models the 'a.A' (alter Art, old pattern) had no flashguard and a leather scabbard, with metal reinforced throat and tip.

Hi oradour
    Thank you so much for the detail expertise.I really appreciate your kind help.

As I know the maker's marker and number on the 84/98 bayonet set are engraved on the different side. But this 98/05(89/05?)has both marker & number on the same side on both blade and scabbard.Is this the common or rare one?

I was told it's hard to find matched numbered WWI bayonet set,especially which has the same maker's marker on both of them.Is that true? Thanks again.

Best Regards
    Kevin

kevin710, it is nice to have a numbered set, it does increase value, although i do not believe they are rare.

?

I believe normally the sets were not matched, so its possible Your piece was numbered later maybe postwar? best regards,Andy

Oh No,Hope they are not numbered later.
    these pics show its original condition before I cleaned it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Matched Number Mauser Bayonet Set?   WWI Matched Number Mauser Bayonet Set?