Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Feldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinions

Article about: Hi All, Still looking for a nice Gorget, I have studied these be am still very cautious because of all the fakes, so maybe some expert eyes can take a look for me, seller says it does glow,

Default Feldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinions

Hi All,
    Still looking for a nice Gorget, I have studied these be am still very cautious because of all the fakes, so maybe some expert eyes can take a look for me, seller says it does glow, the maker mark is a M inside a diamond, I am leaning towards good, the wreath around the swaz doesnt seem to be one of those flattened ones you see on fakes, but the background color in the letters looks dark green, I always thought it was black, I never held a real one in hand so your thoughts on this one is appreciated, thank you for your time.
    Feldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinionsFeldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinionsFeldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinionsFeldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinions
    P
    Many

?

If possible put under a black light or a good light source and it should "The round circles and eagle including the text" Should glow freely in the dark... However... The makers mark eludes me... I think there was a thread about the actual number of "Links" in the chain..... I actually owned one of these at one time and traded it to Paul at Lakeside Traders... I often regret that decision.... Good luck...G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

I am not sure about this one so I may pass, Mr. Saris claimes even he is unsure about the maker of these(M inside of a square) and there originality, I have seen some good Assman produced one looker pieces, but to spend any amount of money on something that has doubt is foolish to me, even the fakes glow also and the green color of the Feldendarmerie plate has me puzzled, everyone I ever saw had a black backround.....

I checked against my non-maker marked example and despite similarities, I agree with your decison to pass. Just not enough certainties with this example IMO to be entirely comfortable.

?

The "M" in a diamond logo is related to the Berlin firm of Maedicke and can be found on a range of insignia from buttons to metal breast eagles.
    This is a typical example of a "Maedicke" Gorget. I've owned a few of these over the years and personally believe them to be original to the period.
    I've seen no evidence of them being fakes other than vague suspicions.

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    I am not sure about this one so I may pass, Mr. Saris claimes even he is unsure about the maker of these(M inside of a square) and there originality, I have seen some good Assman produced one looker pieces, but to spend any amount of money on something that has doubt is foolish to me, even the fakes glow also and the green color of the Feldendarmerie plate has me puzzled, everyone I ever saw had a black backround.....
    In spite of intensive research for my book about TR gorgets (published in Germany with over 700 pages and 1,500 photographs), having observed many hundreds of TR gorgets and after the publishing for the book in 2012, no positive conclusion about the "M" for Maedicke was found. A German Feldgendarmerie-expert with tens and tens of such Feldgendarmerie-gorgets doubts the "M"-gorget.
    None of the many observed gorgets had the typical ribbed edges for the tang as this type of gorget. No collector could prove he owned his "M"-gorget before the 1970's. The letter "M" looks not as the typical one for their logo as used in about 1936 advertisements. Have not seen any later advertisements.

Feldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinions

?

If I recall correctly on another forum someone showed a box of mint unissued Kriegsmarine buttons with the M mark, the box carrying the designation of the Maedicke firm.
    Nevertheless, notwithstanding whether the Maedicke attribution of the "M" mark is correct, there is no doubt that the mark itself is found on a range of absolutely original pieces from insignia, buttons to awards (e.g. the Krim Shield).
    I have also seen a couple of the Gorgets which seem to have been genuine well worn "out of the woodwork" acquisitions direct from Veterans etc along with other unquestionably original items. (This doesn't prove anything of course, but to me is at least half-way decent circumstantial evidence)
    Judging by the responses seen on several Forums to these Gorgets it looks like the overwhelming majority of collectors, including some highly experienced individuals, are favourable to them being authentic wartime pieces.

Either way, without concrete evidence one way or the other it will have to remain a matter or personal choice whether to believe in them or not. I remain a believer.

I have seen this "M"-stuff. I hope one day "written" evidence shows up and tells us if the
    gorget is okay, yes or not. Acquisitions from vets whatever!!

I know many judge this "M"-gorget to be okay. But most of them just say this while it was
    in Deeter/Odegard. It is quite strange that no other gorget from the 1930's through 1945
    does show the ridge over the tang. This makes me quite suspicious, as it is not a feature
    with any other TR gorget. Along with the fact that over 90% of the persons I spoke about
    this (above all dealer's from the "old days"), had not ever seen this gorget before the 1970's.

Further: with Maedicke marked stuff the legs for the "M" slightly slant to the outside. And the
    middle, the "V" ends at the tips of the legs. This as such is not just with the gorget!! But it
    all could be optical illusion....

Feldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinions Feldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinions Feldgendarmerie gorget for review/opinions

My "M" maker marked Feldgendarmerie gorget came out of the ground in Barta, Kurland... it was found along with a few other gorgets. At the very least I see no reason to doubt my example.

Slados28: Can you post a photo from the "M"-marking, please?

I ask, while I have seen only one such gorget from which I think it could be an original.
    The one you found did it have traces from cloth or cardboard? Just curious!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast