Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help with badge or disc

Article about: Hello all, Geoff here I just picked up a few items and this piece was among them. Apparently it has been sold several times I assume this is due to the fact that it has residue of what appea

Default Help with badge or disc

Hello all, Geoff here I just picked up a few items and this piece was among them. Apparently it has been sold several times I assume this is due to the fact that it has residue of what appears to be pricing stickers.(Just a guess...) There is also a small hole in the center of the disc which may have been to rivet the piece to another item?? Any comments or help would be appreciated.

Regards, Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with badge or disc   Help with badge or disc  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with badge or disc
    P
    Many

I think these were car registration tags applied to vehicles....civilian vehicles, I think
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

MAP
    ?

What is the size Geoff?

I've seen these before. But forget what purpose they served. Sorry.

Edit: looks like KMD answered while I was still typing....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The size is approx an inch and 1/2 Is this something that would be attached to the vehicle? or perhaps to something like a wallet or form of card?

Regards,Geoff

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    The size is approx an inch and 1/2 Is this something that would be attached to the vehicle? or perhaps to something like a wallet or form of card?

Regards,Geoff
    No it would be riveted to the vehicle number plate (license plate in American English) between the groups of numbers / letters. The Wehrmacht had similar and even today German road vehicles use similar markers to indicate the registration status (road worthiness/ emissions etc) of the vehicle. Modern discs are date specific and expire requiring renewal periodically.

The type you have indicates that the vehicle belonged to a local police headquarters.

Polizeiprasident in Aachen refers to the whole of the Police service in Aachen. The actual HQ is the Polizeiprasidium and Polizeiprasident is the word for the Chief Constable / Police Chief but in this context is read as "The Office of". It denotes organisational ownership rather than that the vehicle belongs to the Chief himself.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    No it would be riveted to the vehicle number plate (license plate in American English) between the groups of numbers / letters. The Wehrmacht had similar and even today German road vehicles use similar markers to indicate the registration status (road worthiness/ emissions etc) of the vehicle. Modern discs are date specific and expire requiring renewal periodically.

The type you have indicates that the vehicle belonged to a local police headquarters.

Polizeiprasident in Aachen refers to the whole of the Police service in Aachen. The actual HQ is the Polizeiprasidium and Polizeiprasident is the word for the Chief Constable / Police Chief but in this context is read as "The Office of". It denotes organisational ownership rather than that the vehicle belongs to the Chief himself.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    Actually Mark, the disc was issued under the authority of the Police President of Aachen to a private vehicle within the city by the Verwaltungspolizei in that Polizeipräsidium. Police vehicle did not need such license discs. They were equipped with license plates of special number series beginning with the letters Pol. All police administrations, Gendarmerie, Mot. Gendarmerie, etc. were issued numbered series of plates.

Thank you Gentlemen for the additional information.

Regards, Geoff