Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Extremely Rare Railroad Eagle

Article about: A 35" inch railroad eagle is extremely rare, and seldom seen if ever in the collecting community. In my opinion, whether it be a militaria show, fair, or even a long time established co

?

Default Extremely Rare Railroad Eagle

A 35" inch railroad eagle is extremely rare, and seldom seen if ever in the collecting community. In my opinion, whether it be a militaria show, fair, or even a long time established collection, there are just so very few of these large size birds to have survived the demise of the 3rd Reich. And without a doubt, there are more fakes of these massive plaques than were actual period produced during the period. Most of those knock offs coming out of the U.K.

If a 35" rail eagle weren't rare enough, one with a cutout swastika puts this bird in a different category by itself. It's the only 35" example that I'm aware of with this feature. One sole similar exception was a 28" inch eagle that I sold 20 some years ago, which also was a cut out. While termed a "cut out", they are actually cast in this fashion.

JR
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Extremely Rare Railroad Eagle   Extremely Rare Railroad Eagle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Extremely Rare Railroad Eagle
    P
    Many

A rare sub species of the bird indeed.

?

Can we have a look at the back of the eagle?

Hummel

?

As there are exceedingly more fakes of the 90cm rail eagle than there are period examples in my estimation, some of the details, dimensions, and measurements I wish not to comment or expound on at this time. I will say that the reverse is similar to what we see with the standard 600mm, 680mm, and 720's. Of which 3 are shown on our site here:
    General Militaria – Meda Militaria

In owning 5 of these beautiful so called largest of the large rail eagles over the years, this cut out example is the neatest of all. Here is another 900mm on my office wall presently.

JR
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Extremely Rare Railroad Eagle   Extremely Rare Railroad Eagle  

Extremely Rare Railroad Eagle  

Breath - taking !! (and bloody impressive).

Best wishes

Bob