Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review

Article about: 27" aluminum GPH railroad boxcar eagle - Militaria Collectibles buy - sell at War Relics IMO - Has all the hallmarks of recast, would like to hear other people's opinions.

?

Default Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review

27" aluminum GPH railroad boxcar eagle - Militaria Collectibles buy - sell at War Relics

IMO - Has all the hallmarks of a recast, would like to hear other people's opinions.
    Regards,
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review
    P
    Many

Compare the reverse to this original GPH eagle. The position and definition of the maker mark/content stamps are different, and even more obvious is the difference in the area between the eagles wings where the pointed horizontal strengthening webs are missing from the above example. Coincidentally, this eagle was proffered here by William for comments in this thread a couple of years ago, it was declared to be good.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-d...agle-280671-2/

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for review

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Better pic's on WAF, it looks more convincing and is 'Guaranteed Authentic', although I am a bit confused by the design difference to the rear compared to the other one that has been authenticated elsewhere. Perhaps they used 2 different moulds over time??

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Interesting.

EDIT: Just noticed that the one with the strengthening webs is a 24.5" eagle whereas the one without is 27", perhaps that explains it?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Compare the reverse to this original GPH eagle. The position and definition of the maker mark/content stamps are different, and even more obvious is the difference in the area between the eagles wings where the pointed horizontal strengthening webs are missing from the above example. Coincidentally, this eagle was proffered here by William for comments in this thread a couple of years ago, it was declared to be good.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-d...agle-280671-2/

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for review

Regards, Ned.

Indeed , this eagle is 24.5 inches. That eagle was in my collection , the JR MEDA own the inspect, and gave his approval. As the eagle kramer , I like it but this manufacturer makes a rare backs . They are not too smooth . I put some pictures of eagle 24 inches.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review   Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review  

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review   Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review  

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review   Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review  

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for review  

The only shame about the 24+ inch eagle was that the obverse had been roughly cleaned at some point long ago which had made it lose a lot of detail... the obverse was nicely crusty and untouched though. I see Ned posted one of my photos, I tried finding the rest I shot but I have no idea where they are. I since sold it to the guy that runs NS-Kunst and it seems to have moved around even more since then --- the person I sold it to cleaned the obverse of some yellowish patina which worked out OK, this is visible in Milindre's photos.

I like the 27 inch as far as the obverse goes but I see the points re. the reverse markings --- oddly enough this is very similar to what was discussed with regards to the Rhein Metall Borsig 36 (?) inch eagle over on WAF recently. A 27 inch example I had been looking at was turned down due to soft markings, at least it cast doubts with Saris... whereas the bigger 36 inch eagle up for discussion on WAF had even weaker markings but still people were saying "100% good" etc. Not sure what to think --- would be nice to see those new reverse photos

Found them

Rail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for reviewRail Road Eagle in classifieds for review

It seems to have sold so perhaps not much point in discussing this particular eagle further but I would still be interested in hearing thoughts on what seems to me to be a recurring theme; sharp and defined markings on smaller sizes and then softer marks on the bigger variants --- or, is this just coincidental in these cases mentioned?

Im sure if there is any issues with it William will give a full refund...Without a doubt the most honest/trustworthy seller ive dealt with..A credit to the collecting community

I'm not doubting him as a seller or person at all --- I got that other GPH eagle from him and the deal couldn't have gone better! My inquiry still stands as I'm eager to actually learn more about these... perhaps I'd be better of waiting for the Saris book, one that I'm really looking forward to btw!

?

FWIW - people often miss the obvious on these - it is all about the bosses as they are the hardest part to recast and the threaded turnings are missing on recasts. Often disguised as "cut off" with no evidence of ever having been there. although there is often enough evidence to make a determination, it is often missed.
    Regards,
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast