Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Cast Copy or an Original DRK ??

Article about: Following on from:- http://warrelics.eu/forum/belt-buckl...h-money-20420/ Kirby mentioned the cast copies of this buckle and quite rightly so. What about this one though ? A cast copy or a p

Default A Cast Copy or an Original DRK ??

Following on from:-

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/belt-...h-money-20420/

Kirby mentioned the cast copies of this buckle and quite rightly so.

What about this one though ? A cast copy or a poor condition die stamped aluminium by JFS ??

Any comments welcome.

Regards,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Cast Copy or an Original DRK ??
    P
    Many

Default Re: A Cast Copy or an Original DRK ??

It doesn't seem casted to me, I would say periode stamped! Tell me if I am wrong!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

I don't like it at all, David!
    I am used to see alu buckles by J. Feix in a much better quality.
    Maybe I am wrong and it is just the condition wich gives the buckle this scary appearance? I mean especially the marked details on obverse.

What is about the measurements?

Regards,
    Guido
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Cast Copy or an Original DRK ??  

Stuka has seen far more of these than me, but it does look cast to me. I just don't see how the left wing of that eagle could wear like that. It's much lower than the wreath. The pebbling is not sharp either.

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Stuka has seen far more of these than me, but it does look cast to me. I just don't see how the left wing of that eagle could wear like that. It's much lower than the wreath. The pebbling is not sharp either.

Jay
    Hey Jay,
    I must have given a false impression.
    I am not at all familiar to those buckles, as a matter of fact I just got my first one in last week!!
    The only reason a gave my opinion is that I have some experience in casting and in stamping (metalworking).
    cheers
    Kris

cheers
    |<ris

Hi Kris, I remembered you had good experience with casting from some previous threads, that's why I was hesitant to comment. I don't know if the poor quality on the buckle is from abnormal wear or because it was cast. The second photo from the top showing the backside makes it look cast to me also. In that photo, on the bottom of the buckle, you can see holes along the edge. I think the more opinions, the better. It makes us become more objective.

Take care,
    Jay

OK Jay!!
    But I still stick to my first impression.
    When stamped the metal off the object you want to make get heated so hard that you could get emulsions if you are working with composed metal,(like zamak) that is what those holes COULD mean! Due to impurities in the composed metal.
    I had machines who had a force up to 60 ton to struck.
    Depending of the matrix and the material (thikness, size, etc)you where using, you had to adjust (calibrating)the machine that could take up to a entyre day.
    Cupper insigna"s looked like they did come out of a fire when stamped, they are getting they original color back by a chemical procedee.
    The mould of thise buckle is rather complex, ...if it was moulded, it must have been done by a good moulder and a good moulder woudn't make the faults we got to see on thise piece.
    Just my idea...
    Cheers
    K

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by David North View Post
    Following on from:-
    Kirby mentioned the cast copies of this buckle and quite rightly so.
    What about this one though ? A cast copy or a poor condition die stamped aluminium by JFS ??
    Any comments welcome.
    Regards,
    David
    Hello All,

the buckle should probably be a ground find !?
    He's not in my opinion.
    The acid-buckle look.
    There is some sign of it here may be a copy !?
    The Shining bodies look edited.

@ David You see but more, we have only two images.

With best regards,

Raphael

Kris, I do agree with you that one possible cause of the holes could be from emulsions, but then you have the weak characteristics on the front. It just has several things that need to be explained. I guess it could be a worn die.

Jay

For my two pence worth guys I actually like the buckle, it has points for and against, for me the points for outweigh the against, but again just my opinion
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast