Circuit advertisement DRK Ugly Claw buckle
    P
    Many

I wonder if it was a repair?
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    I wonder if it was a repair?
    Thanks Ben, what you see?

I just wondered Ivan if it had separate prong and sleeves and these were added later, I could not see the pin head properly. Great buckle BTW
    Ben

I will post pics of the pin head ASAP

Dear Iván,

I agree with Ben that you have shown a great buckle and for the group per se which sport the still somewhat puzzling crude claws with integral pin shroud, the DRK is probably the most elusive and difficult to find.

For myself though and in relation to the buckle shown, I am sure that the crude claws with integral pin shroud are original to the box and are not a replacement. As such and in my opinion of course, all aspects of the buckle are period without any alterations, modifications or whatever.

Attached is another DRK buckle which has a crude claw with integral pin shroud arrangement. The point of showing this is to isolate a feature of the box reverse, insofar as the overwhelming majority of this family of buckles, all have the same style of catch by the distinct shape and the supporting ramp. The crude claw with integral pin shroud buckle has been discussed on many occasions within the Forum and if you look at say the crude claw with integral pin shroud Stahlhelmbund or SA (to name but two), there is invariably the same signature catch arrangement.

As for the claws which have an integral pin shroud, whilst by a casual glance they all look very much the same, actually and to me at least, they are all different. They were I assume all manufactured by a common method, however there is an ever present inconsistency to the final cast, resulting in each claw and integral pin shroud, displaying an individual "fingerprint".

As a minor side note, this design of DRK buckle is sometimes disregarded, overlooked and dismissed by collectors, which is a tad unfair to what I suppose could be regarded as the "Grand Old Lady" of buckles. The design as shown appeared on pre 1914 and post 1945 manufactured buckles, as well of course on those manufactured in the years between.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Dear David
    Always grateful for your comments
    Best regards
    Iván

Thanks guys and bingo David, two great buckles from the same maker
    Ben

?

Hey guys,
    Here a Buckle of my collection.
    The Buckle is not the variation with the "ugly claw"...
    Regards
    The kabl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DRK Ugly Claw buckle   DRK Ugly Claw buckle  

DRK Ugly Claw buckle   DRK Ugly Claw buckle  

DRK Ugly Claw buckle   DRK Ugly Claw buckle