Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

12th SS Pz Div Veteran leaves £400,000 to Scottish Village

Article about: Read about it here on the Daily Mirror, website. As per usual the press like to use the words Nazi, stormtrooper, etc , but the basic story is interesting: Nazi PoW bequeaths £400,000 to the

Default Re: 12th SS Pz Div Veteran leaves £400,000 to Scottish Village

Quote by GARY TASKER View Post
    i HAVE been a great friend with Heinz Steinmeyer for some years now as he was in camp 21 which is not far away from me, us close friends call him Unkle Heinz, every Christmas he sends me and my family a hamper with all the best German chocolate. Just recently he is taken quite ill and they have put him in a nursing home which he is not happy about,his words, as the Dr. said he had a mild stroke which he does not believe. A great honourable man who loves Scotland more than Germany.

Thanks for reading Gary.
    Welcome! Please convey to him our warmest regards from War Relics Forum.

(Get him to join, too!)

A truly great story. Really great that you posted this.. I hope more people outside of our hobby get to read this..

Too many German veterans have been cast in a poor light for decades because of Adolf Hitler.. I can't imagine what it would be like to go through all of that carnage and loss, only to discover what Hitler was really doing and then be shamed for it!

Thanks again,

Josh

Thats Wonderful to hear, Again as previously stated by others it's sad the fellow does not have anyone who he could call a friend back in Germany or wherever he may reside. Cheers to the soldiers of WW2 who were not brainwashed pawn's.

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Many people don't realise how many Waffen SS veterans settled in ans still live in the UK.

I personally know ones from the LSSAH , Totenkopf , Polizei , Wiking , RFSS , Latvian and Estonian !!
    I have met a few UK W-SS men myself (including Ukrainian, Estonian and Hungarian, just to add to the list), and I have to say, in terms of his decency and character, this guy is just like all the others. I never met a bad SS man, odd as that might sound in today's world of sound-byte bullshit.

I would also say that in general, the ones I met never regretted nor changed their opinion on Nazism either.

Rob

?

Rob if you don't mind me asking who is the Estonian veteran ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3