Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

6th Century BC Greek Corinthian Helmet

Article about: by Adrian Do you know where it came from or where it was found? Beverly Hills. Brad Pitt's trash can....

Default 6th Century BC Greek Corinthian Helmet

Hi folks!

This weekend is family weekend at the college that I work for. I volunteered to babysit this helmet that is here on loan for an art exhibit.

I wish I knew the story behind it... I am certainly surprised by how well-made it is/ how well it has stood the test of time. It certainly is also VERY small...

IMG_6841.jpgIMG_6843.jpgIMG_6844.jpgIMG_6845.jpgIMG_6846.jpgIMG_6842.jpgIMG_6850.jpgIMG_6847.jpg

Fantastic helmet! Looks like something straight out of "The 300"! And, you're absolutely right about the small sizes! I remember examining Roman armor and other artifacts in Italy. I was amazed at the size of a greave they had-it looked like something a young boy or a woman would have worn over their shin, but it was from an average sized Legionnaire. Their rings, for example are absolutely miniscule by today's standards. True, they wore rings on every knuckle of their fingers(including their thumbs) but the average size finger ring dug up today is something like a size 3 or 4US!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It's a textbook M1940 B.C.! (That joke will never get old Joe.)

WOW. Now there's some gold for ya!
    Thanks for showing this very, very old helmet. Is it Bronze???

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Fantastic helmet! Looks like something straight out of "The 300"! And, you're absolutely right about the small sizes! I remember examining Roman armor and other artifacts in Italy. I was amazed at the size of a greave they had-it looked like something a young boy or a woman would have worn over their shin, but it was from an average sized Legionnaire. Their rings, for example are absolutely miniscule by today's standards. True, they wore rings on every knuckle of their fingers(including their thumbs) but the average size finger ring dug up today is something like a size 3 or 4US!
    I read somewhere that the average Roman male was between 5'2"-5'4", yeah pretty short by todays standards!..

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    WOW. Now there's some gold for ya!
    Thanks for showing this very, very old helmet. Is it Bronze???

John
    Yup, Bronze!

It was an honor an privilege to watch over this helmet yesterday for two hours. If only it could talk...

A shame the liner and chinstrap are missing though!

Very cool lid.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Do you know where it came from or where it was found?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

That's a hell of a baby sit Joe. Amazing helmet and it could indeed be interesting if it could tell some stories

Cheers

?

Lovely .Theres something about the colour of old bronze.Thanks for showing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast