Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Albert Speer signed book

Article about: An online friend, while stationed in Germany, wrote to me that he had an opportunity to talk to Albert Speer for about an hour at which time Speer signed what my friend calls Speer's autobio

Default Albert Speer signed book

An online friend, while stationed in Germany, wrote to me that he had an opportunity to talk to Albert Speer for about an hour at which time Speer signed what my friend calls Speer's autobiography, published in German. He is sending me the book as a gift. When I get it, I will post it's content here.

I have read Spandau twice, but what is this of his autobiography? Maybe only in German?

Anyone know anything about such a book?
    David

"Following his release from Spandau in 1966, Speer published two bestselling autobiographical works, Inside the Third Reich and Spandau: The Secret Diaries, detailing his often close personal relationship with Hitler, and providing readers and historians with a unique perspective on the workings of the Nazi regime. He later wrote a third book, Infiltration, about the SS. Speer died of natural causes in 1981 while on a visit to London"
    Albert Speer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looking forward to seeing it, and welcome to the Forum, David...I grew up in Germany, and in 1980 I spoke with Albert Speer on the telephone when I was 13 years old...He was living in Heidelberg at the time and was actually listed in the phone book...I had just read "Inside the Third Reich" and had a few questions...He was kind enough to answer my excited and rather childish queries concerning Panther Tank production...He passed away a year later in London, in the bed of his mistress...
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks for the quick responses. I knew, wizardman, of his listed books, but know nothing of what I would term an autobiography. I'll see when it arrives. And thanks, Glenn, for the welcome. You were lucky to have had that chance. Of all the men involved in that horror, Speer is the one I would have liked to have known. He truly had a repentant heart, looked at the past maturely, and possessed much less the evil we saw in the others. Although 20 years in Spandau wasn't an easy stretch, he kept busy, wrote on toilet paper some 20k sheets, and look what it became. One of my favorite books on that immediate post war period.
    David

?

Quote by vwbug1971 View Post
    He truly had a repentant heart, looked at the past maturely, and possessed much less the evil we saw in the others.
    There is also the well known book by Gitta Sereny Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth. I haven't read it myself (although I have read Inside the Third Reich many years ago), but know that it is well regarded.

Philip

Hello and welcome to the forum, sounds like a nice gift to receive, I hope you enjoy it. Leon.

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    There is also the well known book by Gitta Sereny Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth. I haven't read it myself (although I have read Inside the Third Reich many years ago), but know that it is well regarded.

Philip
    I noticed the book, Philip, and read numerous reviews of it. It will be in my library soon along with the other seventy or so Holocaust related books that I own. None, however, are as prized as the one to come, however.
    David

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum, sounds like a nice gift to receive, I hope you enjoy it. Leon.
    Thanks, Leon. I don't speak or read German, so I know what I'll be doing: getting passages translated online slowly. It is probably Spandau in German, maybe not.

I like what I see on this board. A real man's site, or are there any women who like this stuff?
    David