Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Black light

Article about: I know using a black light isn't a 100% way to determine if something is real or fake ( but it helps), but what size light do you guys think is the best size to use? The light I've been usin

Quote by MAP View Post
    I still say the BEST three tests out there are

1) your eyes
    2) your nose
    3) your knowledge

The rest are just tools
    I could not agree more.
    How can you tell a fake from a real item....KNOW a what a real item looks like and a fake will stand out 95 out of a 100. Then you break out the tools for the other 5 LOL.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I just use an old fish tank light housing with a BL fluro.

I will move this to the discussion forum as it is not Japanese Militaria related ..or no item has been posted as such.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I could not agree more.
    How can you tell a fake from a real item....KNOW a what a real item looks like and a fake will stand out 95 out of a 100. Then you break out the tools for the other 5 LOL.

Marty
    The nose doesn't lie.....every time I walk into my war room after the door has been closed.....I know its all legit! LoL

But seriously, those who have been collecting for a bit of time, stick their nose right up to the helmet or fabric. You know when its good or not.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by muddyboots View Post
    I use the black light for a number of things and never had a problem with it. Sometimes I use it too try and make certain things stand out that are in question. It’s never 100% reliable but is a tool that can help you question something. I even use it to identify if a Native American artifact such as a arrowhead has been reworked to make it look better so it would sell for more at auction.
    I've done that as well. Also used to use a good pair of kids night vision googles (not the cheap fake types). They were perfect for reading fake ink stampings, especially on webbing.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2