MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Brexit killing off Ebay?

Article about: Now that UK has left the EU I've noticed that some items listed by our friends in the EU now have 20% VAT added as well as postage fees, but not always. This can hike the price of some items

?

Hi,
    I ordered some items in the UK, some weeks ago. Both came with fees and taxes of +/- 35,-Euros each. It is twice the value of the items and their shipping costs. Those taxes will be soon upgraded in July. More to pay.
    So buying in the UK is "over" for me. I will now buy continental in the future. Some Czech, Polish and Ukrainian sites are interesting.
    Brexit is not only killing EBay, you see.

Luc

Ebay is a horrible platform to buy anything! They aren't the Ebay of old the so called " local market place" . Power sellers of cheap Chinese goods, and very political left wing views run the show now. Oh well

I've sold a few items to people on mainland Europe and the only place that added taxes etc has been Belgium. And so far this year I've bought 12 items, all from mainland Europe and ranging in prices, and I haven't been charged extra fees once.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    I've sold a few items to people on mainland Europe and the only place that added taxes etc has been Belgium. And so far this year I've bought 12 items, all from mainland Europe and ranging in prices, and I haven't been charged extra fees once.
    It depends entirely on the value of the item you purchased whether you pay the extra tax or not. The customs fees and other taxes do get added, so you have to be careful. I think that eBay now advises about customs fees and other charges incurred.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I've been reading up on this, because - as usual - I've not been paying attention to the changes that eBay are making. Apparently we in the UK have the use of PayPal as our preferred payment option until July 2023, and I suppose that will give eBay time to assess the impact the changes they have made will affect their business. One of the downsides to the new payment system is that it will take longer for monies to appear in your account once you have sold an item. I will probably see it out until 2023 and decide what to do then. Some people think that eBay are making a very big mistake by doing this, and they are predicting it will cost them dearly. One thing for sure is that they won't be doing this change for the benefit of the customer!

Cheers,
    Steve
    eBay better be careful - people will complain with their feet and just leave their platform.

'But we're too big to fail' i hear them say. Like many other big companies.
    Remember Nokia phones? Who buys them now... Or Blackberry phones.

There is always another platform around the corner, and by the time eBay realise it will probably be too late.

nick

I find eBay to be an excellent source of militaria, as long as you know what you're looking for and buy domestically. The new international fees involved are a bit of a nuisance, but then that now applies to professional dealers too. Import taxes are one of the negatives of being a sovereign nation, unfortunately.

B.B.

I'm not too sure with all this I purchased from Ebay USA about 3 weeks ago the item cost $69 but I got $15 added for the 20% vat,so $84 in total now i've been back on there and there isn't a single listing showing any 20% vat to be added so without the risk of actually clicking on an item and having to buy it I think those vat fees are being added at checkout which by then your commited to purchasing the item,apparently is only applies up to the value of £135 but i could be wrong............and yes it apparently started back in january when we left the European union.

Steve I haven't been given that luxury my deadline was the 31st of this month to sort bank details etc or otherwise i wouldn't be able to continue buying & selling on Ebay.i was getting notifications almost everyday to switch to making my Bank account my primary payment source.apparently paypal and ebay seperated in 2015 as independant companies but unclear why ebay wants Paypal done away with maybe someone knows the answer on that matter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3