Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Britain moves motion in parliament to ban sales of "Nazi" memorabilia

Article about: Quick article I found on the " latest WW2 news" site. Whilst I agree the selling of holocaust items is abhorrent, should all memorabilia be banned from sale? And the reference to e

?

Default Britain moves motion in parliament to ban sales of "Nazi" memorabilia

Quick article I found on the " latest WW2 news" site.

Whilst I agree the selling of holocaust items is abhorrent, should all memorabilia be banned from sale?

And the reference to eBay banning the sale of third reich items made me laugh

BBC News - MPs urge government to ban sale of Nazi memorabilia

Default Re: Britain moves motion in parliament to ban sales of "Nazi" memorabilia

I seriously doubt this will come to anything. A lousy bit of lazy reporting too: sales of Nazi items are not ilegal in Germany. A couple of very low profile MP's trying to get a sensationalist headline.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: Britain moves motion in parliament to ban sales of "Nazi" memorabilia

I agree with Ade. I doubt that anything will arise from this journo rubbish. Besides, half the MPs are probably collectors!

Regards,

Carl

Ade is right of course, it's just cheap publicity, but then again, about 90% of British politics consists of soundbites and laws against easy targets

Perhaps it's just me, but I see a huge irony in a government that appears to disagree with "profiteering on items promoting and glorifying hatred and violence" and then will charge tourists a small fortune to look around the Tower of London and other monuments to British hatred and violence.

Furthermore, having read this:

"Last month, a surgical equipment set believed to have been owned by Major Anton Burger, commandant of the Theresienstadt concentration camp during World War II, was withdrawn from an auction in Cornwall after phone and email threats."

I have to ask, shouldn't the police be investigating the person or persons responsible for the "phone and email threats" and prosecuting them for assault?

Rob

?

Just like here in Australia, they put out a press release on some minor topic, so they can slip in something big, under the radar....While everyone is chatting about this, a new tax is introduced quietly!!!!

They like saying "Nazi" repeatedly in these stories don't they? It slightly troubles me that everything to do with the German Third Reich period is often refferred to using that one word.....

Thanks

Danny

?

Id better not say too much otherwise i could end up in the Tower, but sufficed to say that most of the large auction houses have at some time or other sold something related to the Nazi Party or its leaders, but as soon as some journo or politician asks questions theres a big denial, why? because of the possible backlash and loss of business that could follow, as for sales from the countries mentioned, since when did they NOT sell militaria, the whole thing is a crock, a couple of no names from the government trying to make names, id best shut up now

Quote by davejb View Post
    but as soon as some journo or politician asks questions theres a big denial, why? because of the possible backlash and loss of business that could follow
    Which, in simple terms, is an example of control through fear... isn't it?

I never know when to shut up, and even when I do, I choose not to

Rob

Is is illegal in any country?

Mostly just sites like eBay pull this stunt, and uneducated politicians. The fact remains many of us enjoy preserving history, not to glorify an evil, but preserve the memory of those that kept the planet from descending into a new dark age as Churchill put it, and that generation themselves took war trophies as they had every right to... For most of us, we are temporary custodians of pieces of past history, and these items will weather time much longer than any headline seeking politician...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast