Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Camera upgrade ?

Article about: I've been thinking that it's time for a new camera. Most of my collection pictures are done using an old 2004 Nikon Coolpix and the image quality does not compete anymore with some of the mo

Default Camera upgrade ?

I've been thinking that it's time for a new camera.
    Most of my collection pictures are done using an old 2004 Nikon Coolpix and the image quality
    just does not compete anymore with some of the modern cameras and cell phones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced better camera?
    I prefer a compact digital. I use it way more than I do my Canon SLR for close-up shots.
    I've been thinking along the lines of a Canon Cybershot 300 V. but I do like Nikon.

I'm welcome to any opinions and suggestions.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi Greg

The SLR is a pain but the photos will always be better than a point-n-shoot. Maybe a macro lens would help you with the SLR and can be had at a comparative price to a point n shoot? I guess I'm just a fan of the SLR and am not offering much help with your question. We live close and I offer free SLR help if so desired.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

MAP
    ?

I have a great Sony with a few lenses including a macro. But as noted by Green a lot of work to dial it in for thee perfect shot.

As such my Google pixel cell phone is my go to shooter.

That said. For macro photos, a dedicated macro lense can't be beat

Lastly I have yet to see a sub par photo from any of your posts so yet must be doing something right
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks guys.

I like the convenience of using the screen to preview my shots and make
    adjustments as needed before taking the picture without looking through
    the viewfinder. My SLR is old also, maybe that is something that's been
    addressed in new cameras, I don't know.

My wife's cell phone takes better pictures than my Nikon but I refuse to spend
    $1000 on a phone. Besides, I shoot a lot in low light and I need to be able to
    go in and manually adjust shutter speeds and F-stops.

I like the idea of the new mirrorless digitals but I can't spend $2500 on a camera.
    gregM

myself around.

What macro lenses are you using on your Canons ?
    I need to dig mine out and see what I have. It's been so long
    sense I've used mine that I don't even remember what I have.
    gregM

myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    What macro lenses are you using on your Canons ?
    I need to dig mine out and see what I have. It's been so long
    sense I've used mine that I don't even remember what I have.
    My lens is an EF 100mm 1:2.8 L IS USM It's pricey but a near mint used will be half the price of a new phone. If you have a good tripod, you may be able to getaway with a non-IS (Image Stabilization) model and it's way less costly. Just make sure it's compatible with the DSLR body you have, if you go the route of a new lens. I enjoy photography and am into other hobbies with it so it made sense for me.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    I enjoy photography and am into other hobbies with it so it made sense for me.
    Me also but when digital took over, I was kind of lost. I shot thousands of rolls of film with
    my Canon AE1. But stepping up to a new digital SLR was not something I could afford.
    So I went the the cheaper route with the small Nikon. I bought a used Rebel a half dozen
    years ago and also bought a canon EFS 28-55 lens. I can't say that I was wowed by it.
    gregM

myself around.