Museum Highlights

I thought I would share a thread from anouther forum to this one.

One of the main displays at the moment is "The Irish at War at Home and Abroad from 1550" which tries to cover the Irish military contribution to a lot of European military history, including both sides of WWI, the Franco Prussian war, the napoleonic wars, Crimea, and too many more to mention right up to current UN & anti-terrorits roles. The other main exhibition is 'The British Garrison in Ireland'.

Here are some pictures I thought some members may enjoy. The collections cover a LOT of areas of history, WWI, the wild Geese, 1916, War of Independence, Civil War and lots more. I was not permitted to photograph all areas but here are a few I managed to get :

Courtyard of the Building~
Collins_Barracks01.jpg

Collins Artifacts - Michael Collins Pistol, Sword and the pen used to sign the treaty & his death warrant; ~
Collins_Barracks02.jpg

Viking Helmet ~
Collins_Barracks04.jpg

Loyalist tapestry~
Collins_Barracks05.jpgCollins_Barracks_07.jpgCollins_Barracks_09.jpgCollins_Barracks_10.jpg

Firearms~
Collins_Barracks_week2_17.jpg

Both barrels~
Collins_Barracks_week2_11.jpg

Edged Weapons~
Collins_Barracks_week2_21.jpgCollins_Barracks_week2_24.jpgCollins_Barracks_week2_25.jpgCollins_Barracks_week2_27.jpgCollins_Barracks_week2_35.jpgCollins_Barracks_week2_41.jpgCollins_Barracks_week2_44.jpgCollins_Barracks_week2_45.jpgCollins_Barracks_week2_20.jpgCollins_Barracks_week2_18.jpgCollins_Barracks_week2_49.jpg

More photos can be found here, you can get told off when photographing some displays.
Militaria Archive - Museums Collins Barracks Museum Dublin, Ireland

Best regards and its well worth a visit! And when your finished you can go antique hunting in the shops in the city
Patrick