Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A dealers trick?

Article about: Hello, Wasn't sure where to post this as more of a general question but it relates to SS items in my case. As somebody new to purchasing from dealers, could someone explain why some of their

Default A dealers trick?

Hello,

Wasn't sure where to post this as more of a general question but it relates to SS items in my case.

As somebody new to purchasing from dealers, could someone explain why some of their items they put POA?

I'm currently researching hopefully my next purchase of a dagger and time and time again the ones I'm interested in they don't publish the price.

Is there some reason for this as leaves me having to email to find out their asking price?

I already have a good idea from other sellers the approximate cost for similar items from dealers I don't want to use so it's no big secret.

I'm sticking with the main sellers mentioned on the forum but unfortunately they are overseas or I'd just call. Bit frustrating.

Cheers, Dave.

I have moved your thread to the Discussion section of the forum.
    As you put it in the SS section, but you are asking regarding daggers, I felt that you will likely get more response here.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Most likely to cut out time wasters. If someone goes through the effort of contacting them to find out the price, it’s likely they’re more seriously interested than your average rubbernecker. Being in contact with a potential buyer may also make it easier to ‘sweet talk’ them, especially if they’re on the fence about the purchase, which is understandable given the prices of most SS-related items.

B.B.

Thanks Ralph.

Fair enough regarding cutting out time wasters but the problem I'm finding with the dealers being in the states, by time I email them and eventually get a response it's sold or get no response at all.

Think I will start looking at dealers closer to home as easier contacted in person for these higher end items.

Cheers, dave.

MAP
    ?

Quote by NZ Allblacks View Post
    Thanks Ralph.

Fair enough regarding cutting out time wasters but the problem I'm finding with the dealers being in the states, by time I email them and eventually get a response it's sold or get no response at all.

Think I will start looking at dealers closer to home as easier contacted in person for these higher end items.

Cheers, dave.
    I often find it a marketing tool. Give's an item a bit more exclusivity.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

... or they’re too embarrassed to write it.

I’m starting to think it’s a bit of both given the couple of email quotes that came in overnight- make it sound rare and stick the price through the roof. Think I’ll stick to advertised prices.

Thanks, Dave.

There are some good dealers on here.

Militaria Mart - 100,000+ items of militaria for sale

Dave, this is where the use of sending the "I am looking for.." to the dealers you know can help find what you want.

Many years ago I did this with Tom Wittman (dagger dealer) asking him to find an SS Himmler dagger and also an SA Rohm dagger for me. Back then they were difficult to get and seemed to disappear in short order from the dealers sell list. today it is more so as new collectors are coming into this hobby.

I told Witt what I'd pay, if the condition was excellent I was open to a higher price. Both deals worked out well..btw, sold them...I look back and ask what was I thinking?

The thing here is you have to have the money and be ready to purchase. Not saying you would not be able to but stating that as when you task a dealer to find something that meets your expectation you have to be able to pull the trigger and do the deal. If you don't they will not work with you.

Once you get a couple of those under your belt with dealers your good as gold to them. & you'll end up with excellent examples in your collection. If you go this route, still demand images for assurance of authenticity.

Thanks oberhaig for the link. Will come in very useful. Hadn't realised you had replied as I don't sometimes get notification that a reply has been left on my thread.

Yeah Rich, I'm starting to learn real quick. My biggest issue at the moment is lack of experience detecting good fakes. The books I've gathered up have certainly help me cut out the more obvious ones out there. By the time I do my research before posting on the forum for a final green light the more sort after items are gone.

Saying that I was really struggling to get a minty SS armband as they got snapped up so quickly but with a lot of help from the forum on what to look for and my books I now have my second SS armband arriving tomorrow!

Cheers,Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast