Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dirty helmets...sucking another man's thumb....

Article about: I was moistening my thumb this morning as I was about to read a makers stamp on a Brit Mk2 helmet….and I stopped myself with a quite unpleasant thought – “how many other moistened thum

Smile Dirty helmets...sucking another man's thumb....

I was moistening my thumb this morning as I was about to read a makers stamp on a Brit Mk2 helmet….and I stopped myself with a quite unpleasant thought – “how many other moistened thumbs have been here….and on the liner?” (well, we always do the liner too right?). A well travelled Mk2 (other helmets are available but, let’s be honest, don’t cut it against the Mk2 :-) ) will have layer upon layer of…..errrr……spit on 2 areas at least…these things must now be like a DNA Glastonbury!

But I hear you cry, “I use a different digit per stamp as I don’t put my rim-stamp dirtied thumb back in the moisture pot to check the liner stamp…that would be disgusting”…….but do you? Are you inadvertently sucking another mans thumb??

In these disease ridden days, it makes you think doesn’t it…….. :-)

I wear gloves touching my junk!

?

Hi,
    I understand quite well.
    My permanent fear was to have louses in headgear I bought, or some other "insects", that could contaminate me or my environment.

Does anyone know how long Covid 19 lingers on a helmet? My missus has a 'thing' about militaria and the smells that sometimes emanate from it. I once had a slightly battle damaged M42 helmet that a family friend - supposedly blessed with psychic powers - picked up said helmet and ran her fingers over the inside and out. She broke into tears and left the room, and later told me that she had a very strong sense of a young soldier lying mortally wounded and crying out for his mother. This was not so much getting bad vibes about germs as bad vibes about dead Germans! She really was visibly very upset though.

All parcels seem to be going into quarantine at the moment....some (hers) are in quaratine for longer.....thats not because they come from more dubious locations......its cos she's patient (and sensible!). But I am now thinking about a new product......"Helmet Wipes"...effectively "wet-ones" in a small pocket-friendly pouch to take to Fairs and Shows (they're events that used to happen in the olden days)....and they could be scented....how about "the great smell of old army stuff" as an ad ?
    Last edited by Composite; 07-16-2020 at 11:41 AM.

....I’ve just been contacted with the advice that one could get their spouse to wipe one date leaving you to wipe the other.....hence no double-dipping. But some partners aren’t keen to help out.....”laziness” is an ugly word......

But remember, Slack Wives Matter! :-)

I normally wear the industrial rubber gloves when working but that's due to the risk from both chemical and explosive fills. However i do change to nitrile when the need for care and a dexterous approach is called for.

?

I’m really not a fan of wiping dates off things.. even if it is only a little at a time.

But the NIH study found that the Sars-CoV-2 virus survives for longer on cardboard – up to 24 hours – and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless-steel surfaces. (Learn how to clean your mobile phone properly.)

The findings suggest the virus might last this long on door handles, plastic-coated or laminated worktops and other hard surfaces. Another more recent study released in May by microbiologists in Beijing, China, found that Sars-CoV-2 could survive and remain infectious on smooth surfaces including plastic, stainless steel, glass, ceramics and latex gloves for up to seven days. They found they could not obtain infectious viral particles from cotton clothing after four days and that no virus could be obtained from paper surface after five days.

The truth of the matter is that it is very much a case of how the dice roll for you, you are either unlucky and get Covid, or you are lucky and survive. Personally speaking I am sick and tired of being caged up, and my parole date of August 1st cannot come quick enough. If the facts and figures are correct about how long covid lasts on cardboard, then I should have sh*t it by now with the amount of parcels that have reached here during lockdown... my last one came yesterday - and another due within the hour - a Sten Mk 11 no less!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast