Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dwight Messimer R.I.P

Article about: Dear forum members, It is with great sadness that I have to report the passing of my friend Dwight Messimer, long-time member and contributor to this forum. He died on February 24th after a

Default Dwight Messimer R.I.P

Dear forum members,

It is with great sadness that I have to report the passing of my friend Dwight Messimer, long-time member and contributor to this forum. He died on February 24th after a courageous fight with hereditary heart disease at the age of 84. He never lost his sense of humour throughout his terminal illness, and said to me shortly after the election of Joe Biden: 'Steve, one of the good things about suffering from heart failure is that I won't be around to see the mess that Biden makes of this country.'

Dwight served in the armed forces as a 'tankie' from 1954 to 1962, then as a police officer, detective, and administrator at the San Jose Police Department from 1966 to 1989 - before moving on to be a lecturer in history at the State University of San Jose. An accomplished author of many books, and contributor to many more. His passion was the history surrounding the voyages of U Deutschland - a thread which has run for many years on this forum.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Rip, my friend.

A Great asset to this forum ...studying and reporting history...keeping it very accurate.

Prayers to family and friends and truly will be missed.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Very sad to hear this.

Thanks for letting us know Steve.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Sorry to hear that sad news.
    Sending my heart felt condolences to his family and his friends.

RIP Sir!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Not sure what to say. I don't think I can even put into words what a great friend and person Dwight was. We hit it off from the beginning when he first joined the Forum and started the U-Deutschland thread. It's amazing how much I learned from him. He was generous in everyway. With his time and sharing his knowledge. And always sending me gifts and books in the mail. When his health really started to take a turn for the worse he sent me his U-Deutschland collection and a few other things. I will miss his almost daily emails and the phone calls. He sent me his last three books signed and of course I had to get his other seven books signed by him as well. He was an excellent writer who chose to write about subjects that hadn't be written about or ones that hardly had been covered. For any of you that like to read please do yourself a favor and check out his work.
    He was an awesome man and a true gentleman. He was my best friend.

Very sad to hear this news, and very sorry for the loss of your friend.

My condolences and prayers to his family and friends he will be missed.

Hi Luke...its always great to converse will older members and their knowledge ...and we gain much from them.

It would benefit the forum greatly if you would share those books and the ISBN info in the forum library which would carry on Dwights works for future readers. Michael and Smitty can further help you there.

My condolences to you as well when someone who is close to us of the same mind in this hobby.

Best Regards

Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

TWS
    ?

Very sorry to hear of Dwight's passing. May he rest in peace.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Sad to hear .... another one for the 'In Memorium Roll of Honor' list .
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast