Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

A family likeness?

Article about: Good morning gents, I could seem to find an obvious location for this post so apologies if this is the wrong place. I suppose that just about everyone with an interest in the Wehrmacht and W

Default A family likeness?

Good morning gents,

I could'nt seem to find an obvious location for this post so apologies if this is the wrong place.

I suppose that just about everyone with an interest in the Wehrmacht and WWII will have seen the well known images of Hauptman Friedrich Konrad WINKLER at Stalingrad with the broken ISA even if the name doesn't come to mind.

However, Henry WINKLER perhaps better known as Arthur "The Fonz" Fonzarelli in the TV show Happy Days bears a striking resemblance to the Hauptman and he is of German extraction. Co-incidence or family likeness, what do you think?

Regards

Mark

hauptmann_friedrich_konrad_winkler_1942_Stalingrad.jpgHenry Winkler.jpg
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-01-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Personally, I don't think there is that much resemblance between the two Winklers; but Stalingrad sure was the point where the war "jumped the shark"...

(Besides, Henry Winkler's parents were German Jews who emigrated to the U.S. in 1939, making a relation to a Wehrmacht officer even more unlikely. Also, Winkler is not a very unusual name in Germany, anyway.)