As a child I was allways fascinated by these uniforms (not only by those,... ) showed at our national museum.

Uniforms_of_the_Belgian_Papal_Zouaves.JPG

I knew then that finding someting related to those guy's would be hard.
So it was in some sort a "holy grale" I didn't dear to expresse...
And look what I found like some 50 years later...

A medal to a Flemish Papal Zouave.
With his original document signed by General Charette (lt colonel at the time and commanding the regiment).

I am so pleased with it, you can't imagine.

RIMG4537 (2).jpgRIMG4542 (2).jpgRIMG4543.jpgRIMG4544 (2).jpg

The document says;
la santita di nostro signore si é degnata concedere una distinzione onorifica al soldat comune De Wispelaere Basile dei zuavi pontificii in attestato dei servizi resi nelle difesa della sant sede e delle proveche ha dato della sua divozione anche dopo che il corpo venne disciolto.
Il tenente colonello comandante il reggimento ha il piacere di transmettere al medesimo la medaglia di bronze secondo il tenore del breve del dieci.
Marzo mille ottencento novant uno il cui originale si conserva nell archivio della secretario del stato.
Per ordine
Charette
Basse Motte 27giugno 1891

In English;

the sanctity of our lord deigned to grant an honorary distinction to the common soldier De Wispelaere Basile of the pontifical Zouaves in attestation of the services rendered in the defense of the holy see and the proves that he gave of his devotion even after the regiment was dissolved.
The lieutenant colonel commanding the regiment has the pleasure of handing him the bronze medal according to the tenor of the ten short (!?).
March one thousand eight hundred ninety one, the original of which is kept in the archives of the state secretary.
By order
Charette
Basse Motte 27th June 1891