MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Holocaust Star offered for sale in the classified section

Article about: by drmessimer I have only two thoughts to add to this excellent thread. I think that the sale of any artifact on this Forum should be limited to genuine artifacts. If reproductions or fakes

?

Default Re: Holocaust Star offered for sale in the classified section

I'm hoping to get a bit more if the story appears in The Telegraph......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

My only objection to the star is that many members think it's a fake, so i think it should be withdrawn as the seller is stating it'e 100% genuine and if it sells he's making quite a bit of cash.
    I would not be comfortable having Holocaust items in my collection, but i really have no objections if anybody else chooses to collect this kind of stuff, i also feel it's kind of perverse to profit from these items as Adrian rightly said he wants his paperwork left to a museum.
    My wife works for a Jewish lady who is the daughter of a camp survivor, she owns a star and a camp uniform jacket passed down to her by her mother. I'd feel very uncomfortable if my wife's boss knew i collect TR items and i'd feel just as uncomfortable if she knew i had a Jude star. It must be a slap in the face for Jewish people when they see money being made from a symbol of misery and oppression.
    As i said not for me but if you want to collect it i've no objections.

I'm jewish and collect TR items. I had many family members in several camps. It's history, all of ours. Their is no reason to feel uncomfortable.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    I'm jewish and collect TR items. I had many family members in several camps. It's history, all of ours. Their is no reason to feel uncomfortable.
    Yep i know what you are saying, but i don't think my wife's boss is quite as broadminded as you, a few years ago while she was on a flight to Israel there was an unscheduled landing i think at Berlin, she was outraged that she had to step on German soil. Wounds run deep.
    You are right it is all our history.

That's sad. I apologized for that. I understand wounds run deep, but I don't believe you can blame Germany. Germany didn't do this, the tr regime did; and a select few at that. Many Germans either didn't know, helped, or couldn't do ANYTHING. It's sad some of my own people don't understand the history which nearly destroyed us. I just wanna add my family on my mothers side is EXTREMELY small partly due to the holocaust, so I can understand her point of view, just disagree.

Yep very sad situation. going off subject slightly about 20 years ago i was cleaning my motorbike on the drive, an old guy was walking by and saw the bike, he then started shouting about the bike and was very agitated. i found out later he was a POW in a Japanese camp and had since refused to buy anything made in Japan.

That's completely understandable. He suffered mental and physical abuse as a pow. Its even possible his outburst was due to PTS.

?

I dont fully agree with that re PTS, i knew a guy who suffered terribly at the hands of the Japanese as a POW, he had his finger nails and toe nails pulled out and they never grew back correctly, he didnt have any qualms as to his feelings, it was pure hatred for what they did to him and others in the same camp and he never let anyone forget what they did, i dont think that we as the later generations can fully understand the feelings that these people still harbour , we can sympathise, we can feel for them, we can agree as to the atrocities committed but thats all, we have'nt experienced what they went through, their emotions, their guilt even

Quote by davejb View Post
    I dont fully agree with that re PTS, i knew a guy who suffered terribly at the hands of the Japanese as a POW, he had his finger nails and toe nails pulled out and they never grew back correctly, he didnt have any qualms as to his feelings, it was pure hatred for what they did to him and others in the same camp and he never let anyone forget what they did, i dont think that we as the later generations can fully understand the feelings that these people still harbour , we can sympathise, we can feel for them, we can agree as to the atrocities committed but thats all, we have'nt experienced what they went through, their emotions, their guilt even
    I do agree with you, however IMO every case is different and different individuals will react differently to this type of situation. I am not saying pts was the case with the man gunny meet, just saying its possible.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 11-27-2012 at 01:25 AM.

I have only two thoughts to add to this excellent thread. I think that the sale of any artifact on this Forum should be limited to genuine artifacts. If reproductions or fakes do slip in, they should be removed immediately upon identification. Secondly, I would not like to see any ban on any type of genuine artifact that has historical value, and that includes the so-called "hate symbols" usually associated with the NSDAP and all its functions. I don't believe that Ebay-type hyper sensitivity has a place on a Forum whose membership is as serious about the hobby and as thoroughly committed to historical accuracy as the members of this Forum are. And I will add that the members who have contributed to this thread are excellent examples of the sort of collectors that make this Forum unique and exceptionally valuable to those who genuinely want to learn. Dwight

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast